Getting Off Social Media

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mcdreamer, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

No because when my laptop had to be restored I lost all my photos on it, they however were also posted on Facebook.

It has also led me to meeting some like three or four people who I consider good friends. The rest it’s just a I am bored let me distract myself. I don’t see it as anything more than that.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I hate FB. Waste of time to me. I don't wanna hear how you are sitting on the porch drinking a beer. Who cares?

Then you have the constant criticizers, petulant posters, wish-washy incessant likers, private messages asking private questions or total strangers wanting to “friend“ you.

Friends of your friends reading your feed and gathering info on you that you have no idea why they want that info or what they may do with it.
    If I want you as a friend, I will do it the old fashioned way: I will call you up and listen to your actual voice and actual words.

Loona, Mcdreamer and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

My opinion 1,000% about Facebook.. that site gives me the creeps. I'm not even on Twitter much lately, but that's the surgery. Honestly, I hope it lasts.. I can't see spending tons of time reading news myself anymore unless I'm getting paid for it. :cool: Course, that ain't gonna happen..

Loona and manesntails like this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I would limit the time spend on there. I do have an account but I am basically inactive...I do get an email when one of my friends posts something so it is up to me to check or leave it be.

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I only limit the number of social media places I participate in. I enjoy Facebook and it's keeping me in touch with family, HS friends and other friends I've met over the years. I'm somewhat careful about who is a "friend" on the media and my account has always been pretty locked down relative to privacy things. The "App" platform has been turned off for years, for example, as it's the prime vector for mischief and worse. In fact, with the recent security/privacy notice, the only reason any of my data (which is very limited) was exposed was because someone else was using the banned app. There was no exposure because of anything related to my own account or activities. The only other social media I'm a member of currently is Twitter and I don't access it very often.

Mcdreamer and tlwidener like this.
  6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

I fully support and encourage disconnecting from social media! I think you'll find you will feel a lot better as a whole, you're able to be in the moment more.

If I didn't work with social media for a living, I don't think I'd have it

Mcdreamer and manesntails like this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I'm like hamer. It very very useful for my business. But again I have many people friending me who are clients or friends of clients. I've contemplated getting a super private locked down page for immediate friends & family, but then I'd just have 1 more page fees to look at. So instead I'm going to go through and actively change settings for the neeee people who have friended me. It's a bit of a PITA, as that stuff is easiest done on a PC & usually when in sitting on a PC it's for invoicing and other business stuff!

Mcdreamer likes this.
  8. CupcakeCoquette

CupcakeCoquette Senior Member

I refuse to Facebook on the basis that I'm not social, so I have no business on a site that has that right in the...well, not title, but you know what I mean. I'm distanced from the majority of people who've been through my life (including family) by choice. If I wanted to be in contact with them, I would. And seeing as Facebook is specifically about making it easy for people to track you down... Nope. People don't understand that, either. I get the, "So just set yourself to private/ignore their requests," thing a lot, and I'm just... What part of, "I don't want to deal even with that much, I have many social and emotional issues and sites like Facebook are not good or healthy places for me to be," am I not making clear enough?

What's frustrating about it is that so many things are only done through Facebook now. It's bad enough that the response to, "Hey, do you know any good resources for ____?" is almost always, "Join this FB group," but I've being seeing a lot of businesses and events whose sole online presense is a Facebook page, and Facebook puts up a fight about letting me see ANYTHING. Things that are set to private? Yeah, I can understand that. But a lot of the time, it blocks me from public pages, too. So I can't get hours, dates, locations, I can't see products, I can't find another way to contact you, I'm probably gonna go spend my time and money somewhere else.

I actually DO do Instagram, but that's because I can use my primary online/fandom handle there (so I'm not likely to be found by people who are looking for me by my legal name), and if I want to share pictures with someone, it's a lot easier to post them there than to transfer them to my computer, resize and upload to my webhosting, then worry about how much space they're taking up (and it doesn't gripe at people to log in or sign up before they can see anything). But I follow very few actual people on there, too - most of my feed is cute animals, many of whose owners don't speak English, so I'm missing right out on all the drama. >.> (I did one time run across someone I know from my barn back home, and I sent her a DM so she'd know it was me and not just some random creeper rolling up on her. But that's the very rare experience that way.)

Mcdreamer and manesntails like this.
  9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Don’t have an account, never did never will. What am I missing? IMO - nothing.

Mcdreamer, Loona and manesntails like this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I firmly believe that social media is what you make it.

For myself, I don’t get every little social media whatever that is available. I have Facebook and Tumblr. That’s it. I flat refuse to join Snapchat. I don’t see what Instagram and Twitter offer me that Facebook doesn’t have. I don’t see the point of trying to keep up 9 zillion different platforms.

Even though my privacy settings are fairly tight, I don’t post anything that I wouldn’t mind the public seeing on my Facebook. Just in case. ;) And I aggressively manage my newsfeed so I only see the things I want to see.

I’m mostly on Tumblr just to find funny posts. But I did somewhat accidentally end up with a fairly popular Jiu Jitsu related blog. I keep it going by loading a queue with posts every so often so I don’t have to manage it daily.

Mcdreamer likes this.