Getting Off Social Media

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mcdreamer, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:11 AM.

1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I'm seriously considering deleting my FB page. And probably my instagram too. Once upon a time I think FB was really handy and a really nice option to stay connected to people. But now it's just exhausting and stressful and sometimes I think it does the opposite of what it's intention is (to connect people). Has anyone made the plunge and deleted their social media? What has your experience been? I would miss the ability to know about local events in the area and the marketplace is pretty handy. But that's about it. Has anyone cleansed their fb to the bare minimum and has that helped anything? Does anyone think social media is absolutely the worst thing on earth? Some days going off the grid is super appealing. No constant need for validation there!

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I'd like to...

but

I use Facebook & IG for my ornament business and for saddle fitting.

My personal Facebook page has been overrun with friend requests from clients, so I really don't post a ton on it anymore. Certainly nothing overly personal, and definitely not political.

So I guess in that sense my usage has changed for sure. I wish folks I was friends with wouldn't like big corps on social media. I have pages, everyone that likes a page I have gives me access to their friends list and photos. It's creepy AF if I'm honest.

3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

^^^I have a similar philosophy - I maintain a minimal page with as little information as possible, mainly to be able to access the tack selling/buying groups. Other than that, nothing. The sheer number of "friend suggestions" makes me crazy. Plus the information that is gleaned even from my minimal participation is staggering, based on the ads I get. I would love to abandon it entirely.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I have a facebook page that only close friends can see. It works out very well. But if The Zucker doesn't improve facebook after some obvious issues being brought to light, I'll delete it and find some other way of keeping in touch with friends.

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I only keep people on my Facebook who i want to see things from. You control your own social media. There's this neat option where you can hide their posts if you don't want to offend someone by unfriending them. I have a few horse ppl on hide because i get tired of reading their NH crap every. ...*literal!!!!* ....hour. And how good they pretend they are at riding on Facebook when you've seen the them at shows, look.

Just get rid of those who irritate you. :D

6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

i use FB for looking at memes, finding events, and buying/selling. It seems all the buy/sell has moved over to Facebook, I've been browsing Kijiji for saddles and there has been the same 6 saddles for the last three months sitting there. There used to be pages of saddles for sales there.

Arem likes this.
  7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

A couple months ago I did clean my page up from people that caused fights, got preachy and where just an over all annoyance. A few years before that I locked the page down to only myself and friends being able to see it.
    I am also contemplating just shutting it down and saving all my pictures and restarting the page all together by the end of the year. So much stuff just pops up on the news feed and it has gotten horribly cluttered. I also have a list of at least 6 family members who need to be cut off. They are going bye bye sooner then the end of the year. They have started spewing hate at me about me not being christian. Only reason I have waited so long was since two where having babies. I feel sorry for those kids.

Only reason I am keeping the page at all is because my sister shares her sons pictures on there and there are a couple people who are so much easier to contact via FB then text.

8. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

I haven’t deleted my social media but I do agree with you that it doesn’t really connect people. The problem is that I think most don’t agree and most will rely on social media for announcements and event notifications so by removing yourself you’ll be out of the loop on some things.

IMO it’s better just to limit your usage. I post very little - just something every so often. Usually things that I want to remember so the posts are more for me and it just happens that others can read and chime in.

With so many of my favorite message boards being on the decline in favor of social media, I mostly use Facebook to talk in interest groups - they’re like message boards in a way. I don’t use any other social media though I do have accounts, I don’t even remember the passwords.

9. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Everyone has really good points. I'm going to try doing a deep cleanse of my page (friends,groups,pages, etc) and see if that helps. I don't really get on much anymore to be honest but it would be great to find a good balance of getting the benefits of it without the garbage. It really does feel wonderful to not be tied to my SM. The people that I really want to connect with, I don't often use FB as the source.

10. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

I have stayed on it mainly to keep up with friends and family. Particularly a few years ago with earthquakes as I was the only person in the family who could contact an uncle who lived there.
    I also use it as my main source of stalking horses I used to look after and their offspring, just last night I got some new photos of a now grown foal I halter broke.