Getting dried manure out of a tail

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Blondehorse, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member

Does anyone have any good tips on how to do this? If you've never experienced it, you don't know how hard it is to wash out those dried clumps of pooey hair. Shampoo just doesn't really cut it. :no: I usually end up taking a terrycloth washcloth and pulling it down the length of the dirty hair. I know that can't be good for the hair, and some gets pulled out or broken, but I can't get the dried poo out any other way. Help? :D

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

can you coconut oil the 'clump' until it is saturated and comes out? :)

3. Blondehorse

Hmm, maybe. I hadn't thought about doing something like that. Thursday should be warm enough to wash her tail, so maybe I will try putting the coconut oil in a couple of days ahead and see how that works.

4. sanity

sanity Full Member

I bought a mare who had a disgusting tail (and in even more disgusting condition) and I discovered same as you, shampoo just doesn't cut it. What I did was to swamp it with conditioner (human :p) and gently comb it out, and then use shampoo once it's tangle free. I did lose some hair, but not much, and her tail came up nice and clean afterwards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The before and after (and she's nice n fat now :)).

5. raisethebar

raisethebar Senior Member

Babyoil also works quite nice. You drentch the spot in the oil and work it with your fingers,
    then condition, then wash, and if desired - recondition. You can also spray it with a silicone-based spray, or something with an oil base (oil and water even works).

6. Blondehorse

Doncha just love the tail ickies?? :rolleyez: It sounds like using pretty much anything that will saturate and soften the dried poo will work, then.

Cute mare!

Coconut oil should work as well as baby oil, I would think, and is healthier for the hair. (I'm kind of protective of her hair, lol! :p)

Thanks for the advice!

7. horserider001

horserider001 Senior Member

Use a silicone spray and give the tail a good wetting with it and let it dry. After 2 or 3 times the clump should come out easier.

8. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

My mini tends to get his tail pooey, and I just spray a silicone based spray in it, and sit on a stool, and pick it apart with my fingers, as not to pull or break his hairs...

Cathy:)

9. WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay Senior Member+

Just wet it, shampoo it, and let it sit longer. Warm water is better than cold. It will soften with shampoo without oils and other messes, just be patient. Rinse... repeat if you missed any.

10. PaintedMorgan

PaintedMorgan Full Member

I agree with the baby oil thing baby oil works on pretty much anything in a horses tail