Getting a saddle to shine

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Peanut Palomino, May 22, 2018.

1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I recently purchased a roughly 10 year old Court's barrel saddle. It was pretty filthy when I got it, so I gave it a thorough scrub down with Fiebings saddle soap and oiled it with Neatsfoot.

It's clean now, but SO DULL. And not the kind of "used&loved" dull, just straight up dingy dull.

I've read that Tan Kote, Leather New, and Leather Sheen all give saddles some shine, but they're all very different products. Has anyone used these? And what would you recommend in my case?

(slippage is not an issue as the seat is suede, and the jockeys & fenders are rough out)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BCI6XC/?coliid=I1ZEQ9ZF6QRKWX&colid=1TPZLZCGZ27P4&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B6EIU6/?coliid=ILKJ3SUMV8PBR&colid=1TPZLZCGZ27P4&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Lea...pID=41AVcCAVJ9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The saddle (and one of the new conchos I'm putting on)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GONE ROPING and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

mooselady, mymarespet and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Will it get it more shiney though? The saddle isn't dry at all, just dull.

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yes, it will definitely help. I got an older dressage saddle that was pretty dull and used this stuff on it regularly. It has a nice gleam to it now. I put the saddle in the sun so the leather gets warm, then I rub the Lederbalsam in, let it soak in, then buff it with a soft towel.

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've used this and recommend it, but it's been ages. Idk if something newer, faster, better, cheaper is out there recently.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I use Effax leather balsam, and it will give a good shine while nourishing the leather. If the leather is not dry, a little will go a long way. I'd go with a balsam, Effax or Passier, for the additional benefits plus adding some shine.

Peanut Palomino and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

I'd go with Tabn Kote. water based, so if you get too much on you can scrub it off. Seals in the oil and takes that "greasy" dull look off.

The spray lacquer will be VERY glossy, and it will hold that gloss forever, but it's going to start cracking and crazing at some point. then I don't know how you deal with that except to use a solvent to strip it off. I would not pick the spray laqs for saddles But they are okay for things like wallets and handbags that are tooled. They are just too brittle for saddles, imo.

Peanut Palomino likes this.