1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Gelding Mounting Mare

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by barrelgirl8899, Jan 4, 2010.

1. easygoer

easygoer Senior Member+

We have a 4 y/o gelding who will sometimes breed our mares when they're in heat - not just mounting but the whole 9 yards :rolleyes: He was gelded at 18 months but actually bred & impregnated one of our mares before he was cut, so he sorta knows what he's supposed to do :wink:

2. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

My 2 year old did those antics when he first came here. 2 of my older mares, that had been bred several times would also egg him on by backing right up to him. 1 would let him mount and then walk away and kick at him. The 3rd mare, never been bred, kicked if he got to close. I think it just depends on the horses themselves.

3. barrelgirl8899

barrelgirl8899 Senior Member+

yeah, my mare pushes up on him, and allows him to do it, Was just wondering if other people had it going on, or was it something I should be worried about. My mare is 22 years old now, but acts and looks ALOT younger. But my only worry is that she might be hurt. Shes only 13.3hh and he is pushing 15.1 or 15.2, and built like a tank. He doesnt mount her a lot, not like every day, but more like once a month. That we see anyway, but the horses are on our property, so we get to watch them all day long. When we see it, we seperate them, then they go back to what they were doing. But my gelding has a look like "whats wrong?!". lol.

4. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

Im also wondering about this cause my 5 year old gelding mounts my almost 2 year old filly :eek2:

5. mistysangel0

mistysangel0 Senior Member

That definitely happens. I have a 9yr old gelding that was left a stud until he was at least four years old very possibly older. I don't think he ever was used for breeding. He was just kind of left in a stall and fed the bare minimums to keep him alive is what it sounded like.
    My two year sounds like your mare, she has very noticeable heat cycles lol and a lot, and definitely doesn't like any of the other horses too much ( except the 30yr that raised her) when she's not in heat.
    My gelding used to mount her, he now finds her very unattractive while she's in heat and ignores her because she can be a little crazy. She will be all happy to see him and squealing at him and then randomly kick or strike at him. He has no interest in her anymore. lol

6. checota

checota Senior Member

I have a 7 year old gelding fully gelded at the age of 8 months, I saw those bad boys cut out and our vet slung em onto the roof of the barn LOL its his thing LOL
    anyway he mounts our 14 year old hussey mare everytime she comes into heat. She is not one of our broodies more like a rescue pasture pet. So no harm done, we do make sure she does not have a discharge (he penetrates her with a full erection) so we worry about infection.

However we would never pasture him with our broodies, I do not want dirty mares, and his little antics could introduce pathogins to the vaginal vault.

7. Nazeeress

Nazeeress Senior Member

It really isn't that uncommon for a horse to mount anothere apart from breeding. When My mare got back from a farm that we weaned her colt at, my othere mare acted just like a stud; nibbled at her back legs, squealed, ect. And then mounted my mare....who then kicked the you know what out of her.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless he starts getting agressive with you when you are trying to handle thew mare. If he starts that kinda business then you will have to be studly right back.

8. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

I've had other geldings that have been very protective of my mares while in heat. One would keep them seperate from the rest. I have no idea why. He would just chase everyone else away. Maybe he knew he couldn't do the deed and didn't want anyone else doing it either.

9. Shuri

Shuri Senior Member+

I wouldn't allow it. Unless you the geldings 'equipment' is squeaky clean. He can introduce all kinds of nasty bacteria and gunk into her repro tract and possibly cause infection. Might not happen, but I wouldn't take the risk. Breeding stallions are kept very clean.

10. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Our gelding does it too

Our Belgian gelding has been seen mounting our mares. Most specifically, my "hussy" of a mare! (the Morgan)

They all live together, and I don't think he's ever penetrated ( I wouldn't want that!)

But definitely mounting!!!! Seen it done in pasture at several places I've boarded at over the years. So yes, quite normal for geldings to do that to mares that 'want it' :)

It upsets alot of owners, especially in a boarding situation. As for my little herd at home....as long as he isn't going the whole nine yards and the whole thing stays very peaceful, it's fine with me. He doesn't hurt our mare, isn't agressive, and is really sort of half-hearted about it.