Gelding Mounting Mare

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by barrelgirl8899, Jan 4, 2010.

1. barrelgirl8899

barrelgirl8899 Senior Member+

So, I got my APHA Gelding in mid april of last year. The mare I have had for 14 years, she never gets along with any other horses, except for our old shetland, but he since passed. Well anyway, I noticed about a month or two ago, when they were playing the in the pasture that she was in heat (which isnt rare for her. lol) and 'squrting' at my paint. And he was going along with it, jumping around ect. I went back to doing what i was doing, looked back up when I heard my mare squeel, and he was mounting her. Not just in the process, but his front legs over her shoulders ect. Since he is gelded, he was not...uhm...'hard'.... but was acting like he was. I know he was still a stalliong at 8 months, and I know he was a gelding at 7 years, but inbetween then i have no idea when he was gelded. He is now 10. I really have nothing to worry about, except for him hurting her, which I doubt, she is tough. lol. I('m glad to see she actually likes someone else, maybe a little too much. But has anyone had this happen before?

2. CMhorses

CMhorses Senior Member+

I have heard of this happening, and from what I've heard, its not that uncommon for geldings to act like stallions to some degree. I would get him checked to make sure he is fully gelded. I have a friend who had a "gelding" put in his trailer at an auction, so he took it home and put it in with his old mare,11 months later he had a foal. Turns out the horse was only half gelded and was a monorchid(sp).

3. barrelgirl8899

barrelgirl8899 Senior Member+

Is there a way of checking to see if he is fully gelded or a monorchrid w/o calling the vet?

4. zomer

zomer Senior Member+

many of the geldings pastured with mares at the barn i stable at fully mount the mares and even achieve erections. some of them were gelded late, some were not. even our retired 27 year old QH still mounts his favorite mare although he is a little sore in the hocks the next day so we keep an eye on him. It's very common at our barn for some reason - but only with certain mares- not all of them are worth the effort it seems- or perhaps they would just beat the snot out of them if they tried!

5. LorieannsDream

LorieannsDream Full Member

We have a gelding who acts like a stallion, goes through the whole routine.... had a mare turn up preggo. We thought, based on his actions, he was the daddy (have since found out it was a "through the fence" by neighbor's stud, breeding). Had vet check him, even opened him up looking for un-descended testicle. Nothing there! He still acts studdy, goes through the whole mating routine, but we haven't had any more surprise foals since neighbor moved his stallion.

6. CMhorses

CMhorses Senior Member+

You might be able to "feel" it, but I'm not sure. I think easiest thing to do would be to get a vet to check his testosterone levels, but I am not sure how much that would cost (or if a vet would be able to feel anything). I would just say that it is unlikely this is the case, and he is just acting like a stud.

7. southern250

southern250 Registered

My gelding King goes through the whole breeding process also. I remember the first time I saw him breeding my mare. I ran down to the fence and started looking to see for sure that he had no hardware. The vet says he hears about geldings doing this a lot.
    Woody, Kings 1/2 brother is just the opposite he bites her if she gets to close to him.

8. CaitlynH

CaitlynH Senior Member+

Question, is it ok to allow gelding to do this? I mean mare health wise? I have an arabian mare (14) that is often pastured with a saddlebred gelding (18). He will mount her is able to achieve an erection and penetrates. It's actually quite difficult to keep them apart as both are wonderful excape artists and i've just accepted that my mare isn't so innocent. She also allows him to mount even when she isn't in heat, is this normal?

9. LoveMyHorsyyyyy

LoveMyHorsyyyyy Senior Member+

Im not sure, I just know the stallion that used to be at our barn mounted a gelding, "Dakota" the gelding didn't know what was going on. He slowly walked away. lolz

10. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

We had this all the time at the barn when I was younger. We had a gelding that was gelded late, and he LOVED to mount the mares. He was able to achieve an erection, also. The unfortunate thing is, the other geldings learned the behavior from him, and every one that mounted a mare did so with an erection. It was interesting, to say the least.