Gelding is acting like a stud.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WesternRider22, Aug 25, 2018.

1. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

My gelding has been acting like a stud since I brought two mares home... He has been nipping at their knees and flanks and even mating them... The other day I brought a paint gelding home and then put them together today. He won't let him near the mares and was chasing him around the pasture for awhile. So I separated my paint from him. He used to be best buddies with my 25 year old gelding that recently passed away, but that was before I bought my 2 other mares.
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, of course. Geldings are housed with geldings, mares with mares because they do not know they are gelded. Put him by himself , separate from any mares, before one of them gets ticked off and kicks his head in.

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Or before he injures or infects your mares from mounting them. Solution is really simple.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Separate the male horses from the female horses. Put up a fence to divide your pasture.

If you have loose housing instead of stalls, divide it up too.

waresbear and manesntails like this.
  5. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

I have a big pasture field that I like to keep all the horses in. I know a lot of people that keep mares with geldings, and they do fine together.

6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

And it works for them. Obviously it's not working for yours. So why risk any of your horses because "it works for someone else."

7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Sometimes, sure, but it does not sound like your gelding got this memo!

Best plan is to split your big pasture into two medium ones.

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Split them up.

9. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

It's going to be much cheaper and simpler to split your pasture than it is to pay vet bills. I only own geldings because I don't want to have to deal with what you're dealing with. Before my geldings, I only owned mares. Separate them, its the safest and easiest thing to do.

10. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I kept a mare and gelding together for several years and was lucky to have no issues. I gradually increased the time they spent together until I eventually just left the gate open between the two pastures. I've only had that one pair that got along though. I had a bigger, coed pasture that had 2 mares and a gelding. The mares beat the crap out of that gelding if he didn't keep his distance and I eventually put him in the round pen until I could figure out a better solution. I won't lie, I didn't and he ended up back out there. It really isn't worth it to let them figure it out, it didn't end well. So please get him out of there.