Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM.

1. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

Well I phoned my dad and mentioned I had seen some tankers go by filling up other people's propane tanks to get the convo going. I asked about cost and it possibly being cheap/ free and he said it's the cost of running the piping in the house and since he still unsure of what's gonna go where he doesn't want anyone coming to set it up.

I told him I'm still very very uncomfortable with the tanks leaking/exploding to which he replied the setup is safe, the tanks aren't beside the oven and if I feel unsafe just use one tank and that it's like a bbq! I don't even like using bbqs!

I could tell he was getting irritated and he wanted to go for a nap so I just left it at that.

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I think you may want to look for another place to live. Seems like your dad is taking advantage of you. And putting you in danger. Even if he is sick, that is not ok. Not sure what your situation is but here where I live you could get a nice apartment for $600 a month,

3. IslandPony89

I know what you mean, my dad's been ill my whole life and there are times I feel he takes advantage of family, especially patience. Around here you're looking at a nice apt in a safe area 1200 and up plus utilities.

I'm really disappointed in my dad. Hubby wants me to stop paying him rent and start pocketing the money towards my debt so we can speed things up but I've already hinted at that and it's a no go.

Hubbies mom is looking to sell her place up north as they have two houses and give us some money from sale but she's not looking to do that until spring. Hubby wants to hold out until then.

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Not to be snide, but if your job isn't paying the bills, and it hasn't been paying the bills since you've been a member here, why not look elsewhere for a better job?

I use propane tanks on the fork trucks we use at work. They are not safe inside. Period. Your dad either doesn't know or is blowing a bunch of smoke up your behind. We keep them outside, STRAPPED DOWN. YouTube a propane tank explosion. Just knocking that suc.ker over can cause it to shoot like an uncontrolled bomb all over the place and seriously injure or probably kill you. Not safe, period. End of story.

Shoot me flack all of you want. Girl, you need to get some stuff figured out. Your housing sounds deplorable, the people you rely on sound ignorant, and YOU need to take the steps to make YOUR life better. Not waiting around on everyone else. It isn't anyone else's job to take care of YOU.

I've been in a similar situation, maybe not quite as bad. But a job that wasnt paying the bills, expecting everyone to help me and guess what? It got me nowhere.
    Best of luck.

Tack Collector, Arem, Mirage and 4 others like this.
  5. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

If you have a rental agreement in place, report your father to the real estate board, as a tennant you have the right to a safe home. And if he is denying you that, then he is in the wrong.

Propane and gas in general is safe, if a competent trained person hooked it up and it was inspected. That set up sounds extremely dangerous and illegal.

I have to agree with @lucky_pine, you and your husband need to get your stuff sorted. You clearly cant rely on your family, so stop trying to. You both are adults, even if it means moving away from family to a spot you can afford, do it. Don't wait around hoping for the best

6. IslandPony89

I understand %100 and when hubby gets up they will go outside!

I have been 4 jobs in the last two yrs with each one promising me full time hours with great pay, I work my ass off every day I go to work, I try my damnest to make a good impression. Ive worked jobs near home and I worked jobs up to an hour away.

Either business slows down and they slash hours, even when I make couple hundred dollars in sales Im not moved on to other postions and Im left where I am, Ive never complained, Ive bent over backwards to meet demands, they say jump and I ****in jump. I had a racist remark thrown at me the other week and didnt say a peep. Ive slashed spending, I make home made lunches for hubby and I, things have either broken down and I dont replace them (I dont have a bra, I dont have running shoes just summer sandals, one pair a deck shoes and winter boots, Ive sold everything I can bare to part with, if I run errands I run them all in one day to save on gas) Ive parted with jewelry and clothes, Ive asked for either money or gift cards when its been birthdays or xmas. Ive run my body into the ground at jobs where my joints in my hand swell and I cant undo a simple tie on a bag that was already loosened, how stupid did I feel asking someone to undo it for me!

But if you asked anyone theyd describe me as happy go lucky, cheerful person.

Thanks for the luck.

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

The closest I have ever been to work since I started with my Union hall is an hour away.

As for being sore, getting hurt. I'm a Union Millwright. Most of my day is spent moving metal objects that weigh 3x as much as I do. Getting my fingers pinched, things dropped on my feet, smacking my head on cr.ap when I'm underneath giant bucket elevators. You do what you have to do.

I'm just trying to help you see that those are excuses. Yes, you like cooking and baking and that's awesome. But it's not paying the bills. Do that as a hobby. Sometimes you just gotta get down and dirty and do a job you don't exactly like.

And I understand you have a lot of anxiety. I have Bipolar II disorder, PTSD, and general depression and anxiety. You can't use those as excuses either. There are ALWAYS resources out there to help you help yourself. 20171108_192742.jpg

NBChoice, Arem and Mirage like this.
  8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I went from living like you do, barely bringing in $300 week, selling stuff to get by, to averaging $1100 to $2000 week and not wanting for anything because I quit feeling sorry for myself and realized there are better paying jobs out there, I just have to buckle down and DO IT.

Mirage likes this.
  9. IslandPony89

I understand lucky pine I do. I actually haven't baked in a very long time and as a cook it's better paying than any other jobs around at 14$ an hour (with the possibility to get up to 17) everything else is sitting between 11 to 12 dollars an hour around.

My job is actually enjoyable, very little stress (minus that grease fire) and Ive picked my dept which is very friendly and pretty straight forward. But because its winter hours have been cut because it is a resort so it's the slow season.

I am looking around for jobs closer.

and thats not to say things havent been good since I actually cut down on my social media and just focused on life things have been alot better, Ive been getting much better sleeps lately, debt is going down slowly, and things are getting more organized.

Its just the stove that makes me very uncomfortable.

10. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I know how it is having a sick family member you are close to. My grandpa was very sick for a long time before he passed. Luckily he lived right next door to my dad on the same property. He still needed someone with him 24/7 in case he fell.
    Even though it was his house that he paid for himself, my dad and stepmother put their foot down when it came to dangerous or hazardous things. If something HAD to be fixed or changed, it was done. And there were times he was yelling at people like crazy. But safety came first.
    Your dad doesn't seem like he needs you to take care of him. At least it doesn't seem that way from your post. If he's keeping you in danger like this, you need to leave.
    There is literally a BOMB in your house that may or may not go off!
    I'm not trying to be ugly, but seriously. You were freaking out about your husband showing you an unloaded rifle. But your ok with living with a bomb in the house?
    The fact that people can carry loaded weapons (in the US at least) into stores without issues, but taking a little propane tank into the same store nearly causes a panic attack where people are yelling at you to take it outside should you something.

Hot plates are cheap. We have 3 electric hot plates we use on a daily basis. It's cheaper than a stove.

NBChoice, Arem and Faster Horses like this.