Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM.

1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

This may not be what you were hoping to hear but the setup you have now for the stove is insanely unsafe.
    Every time you connect/disconnect a propane appliance you should be having a pro pressure test the system. Safe to assume this is not being done?

Propane tanks have a safety release valve that will exhaust gas into the air if the pressure becomes too high. This isn't great outside but it's not an automatic explosion either.
    Inside however there is a much much greater risk of an ignition source lighting the vented gas. Such as your space heaters. Turning off the main valve does not override the safety valve. It can still vent even with that shut off.

Being in another room is unlikely to help you much. Pressurized gas makes for one hell of a fire.

Without doing the pressure tests you have no idea what you are working with!

Please, I handle gas and hazmat products everyday for work, this is nothing to play with, please if you don't do anything else just unhook those tanks and set them outside. See if you can find a cheap/free barbeque for cooking outside until you can figure something out.

Are there any government programs available to you that can help you get a tank outside and hooked up properly?
    I know almost nothing about Canada but we have many programs for low income people in the US so there must be something for you?

I'm sorry the house isn't working out like you'd hoped :(
    Please be safe and hopefully you can get this straightened out.

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Please stop using space and oil heaters inside. That scares me for you. Especially with the propane. We had a story on the news today about a family in Louisville KY who's home burned down because of space heaters this week. I am scared to death of using them.
    Sorry to hear your dad isn't doing better.
    Glad to see you back.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

Thanks (they make me nervous to) the heaters are only turned on while we are home for a few hours then shut off. And everything is turned off and unplugged while we sleep or were out.

House stays pretty warm regardless. Hot water bottles are great.

My dad bought us an electric blanket they make hubby nervous so we only plug it in to warm up the bed and then unplug.

The only thing appliance wise that runs all the time is the fridge. Then just the reptile heating, computer, lights and tv.

We can only use the bedroom as we dont have lighting set up in the rest of the house so once its dark its dark.

The only issue im finding with the cold is my joints hurt. Very stiff waking up and a lot of joint pain in my hands.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Hey @IslandPony89 ! Glad to see you back!
    I am sorry that you don´t feel good right now and that your dad isn´t doing so good right now either...
    I have nothing to add to the advice you already received.
    I just hope things will look up for you soon!

6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I didn't get why so many people freak out about gas stoves. Yes, the way yours is set up is very dangerous and the tanks need to be taken outside asap. But set up correctly they are no big deal.
    My dad's place has 3 houses on it. When my grandparents and aunt still lived there, all 3 houses had gas for the stoves and hot water heaters. Never had a problem. Even when my aunt's tank started leaking, there was no problem except the lost gas and money. (The new valves were bad and all the propane was gone in a few days of it being filled.)
    You just have to pay attention when your looking with a gas stove. Turn it down when your pan is hot. Usually you can turn it almost all the way down to a flicker unless the pan/pot is really full. It's really not that hard.

Arem likes this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I have always lived with and used a gas stove. The only time there was any issue was when the knobs were above the range instead of below, and my cat likes to sit on the stove and play with them. He turned them on a couple of times, so I started covering them with tin foil.
    Your current set up is dangerous, please get the stove hooked up properly asap.

Arem likes this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I will only cook on a gas stove/range if I have the choice. But a proper installation is important as I noted in my previous post.

I actually despise cooking on electric stoves/ranges, the exception being the newer induction type which actually have some good level of control not available in any other type of electric cooking situation. Electric ovens are also fine...but on the top...gas for me, please.

tlwidener and Arem like this.
  9. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I am in love with my gas stove. I spent the first 30 years of my life with electric only and will never go back if I can help it. My husband took some getting used to with the gas stove foe similar reasons.

However, a SAFE installation is far more important than the fuel source. Electric is equally as dangerous if you don't have a safe setup. I agree with everything mentioned already regarding the current setup for the propane.

10. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

Thanks for the concerns everyone.

The fact that could explode is scary but what scares me more are them leaking. I've decided that when hubby gets up at 5pm I'll disconnect them and put the tanks outside. If this seems risky this is just the tip of the iceberg of risky things my dad has done over the years.

It's depressing that this whole setup has failed with my dad. The deal was we give 600$ a month in rent he then puts some of the money towards upgrading the house. We have done some upgrades, new wiring, drywall and insulation but if it's this really cheap/free to install a propane tank then I'm not sure what his issue is.

With paying cheaper rent we then could start paying our debts down and then put money towards a house of our own.

But my hours go up and down as I work at a resort as a cook and with winter here business has been at a crawl. I asked my brother or mother as they are looking to move and asked if we could all move in together but they said no. Did some digging and apparently my dad said they should look for people who are more dependable with paying rent (Ive had to sometimes split rent between two pays instead of taking it all from one) that really hurt my feelings, then having your car tire do a blow out on the highway and then run outta gas in a intersection was a really big low point.

There have been good points like after the car troubles I showed up to pick up hubby and he had a four foot teddy bear for me lol