Gas Stove

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM.

1. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

Hey guys Ive taken a bit of a break from the net since my last post (Ill admit some responses did upset me and I felt like I needed a cool off period)

Since my last post my dad's health has declined. So renoing the house has been put on the back burner. We finally got the house insulated the other week, and we are using to space heaters which will be switched out for oil heaters.

What still scares me is the gas stove. People were all like youll love it, youll love baking and cooking and honestly the thing scares the **** outta me.

I had a huge grease fire at work on a gas grill and that was the last straw. I dont like gas!!!

right now we are using two bbq propane tanks to the stove so the tanks are in the house, we shut them off when not in use (like bbq) but they still scare me of leaking and carbon monoxide.

Does anyone have any experience with gas

I could happily stick to cereal and fruit n not use it.

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I don't know how safe it is to use little tanks normally for a gas stove.

Do you guys have a large outdoor propane tank? The propane company should be able to help you get everything hooked up, running properly, and re lit.

Other than that, I love my gas stove.

manesntails likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Please STOP using the tanks inside your house. That's very unsafe...propane tanks of any size are not designed to be in living space. You need to have a line installed to the stove from outside and get propane service from a local supplier. (I assume you do not have natural gas to the property since you're using LP currently) They will typically install a 100 lb or similar tank for this purpose. Cost to do this is generally minimal since they want your recurring business for the LP gas.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I wouldn't use propane tanks in the house. I do have a gas stove, you can definitely smell when a pilot light is out, just relight it. I like cooking with a gas stove, it's just expensive when it comes time refill the tank.

5. IslandPony89

Thats what has me worried. Everything is currently shut off and I could happily live without it on.

I have asked my dad repeatedly to have them moved outside, to have everything hooked up correctly but his health has deteriorated rapidly n it looks come early next yr we will be moving back out as the house cannot be worked on. Not sure where we will move.

If I had the money Id buy a convection oven n two electric burners.

Alot of people use gas here, seen trucks come in to refill them.

any advise on smoke alarms or monoxide alarms

6. Faster Horses

Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors won't help if the tanks blow up.

This is why propane tanks are outside the house.

Delivery of a new tank is free. Hook up is free. All you pay for is the propane. Please call a propane company and have a tank brought out.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Call a propane company to come bring you a big tank for outside. They will check your stove and the whole system for free. They have to, for safety. You can get a 60lb tank for outside and if you only use it to cook, it will last for months. Cost me around 165 to fill mine, but propane costs vary.

equinitis and SEAmom like this.
  8. IslandPony89

I will speak to my dad again but he is having issues with allowing people in the house, He constantly asks us what people say about the house. We don't use the kitchen at all bar doing dishes or getting something from the fridge. We are pretty much living in the bedroom with the space heaters.

I will run by him again that itll be free and we can have everything hooked up (including the gas fireplace, he wanted to hook it up and I said no full stop).

manesntails likes this.
  9. Faster Horses

If he doesn't let you, please let us know you will at least unhook your grill tanks and no longer use them for the stove.

IslandPony89 likes this.
  10. IslandPony89

Ill let you know. Like I said they are currently shut off.

Im not going to bother him tonight as he just dropped the tanks off and hooked them up. He was on his way to a health meeting and I didnt want to stress him (he was in a good mood) since he collapsed again last week. It can be like treading on eggshells the last few weeks. After I stopped posting on here I had a major break down in public and have kind of isolated myself to the bedroom, bar work or running errands.