1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Games you play at work, barn or home to equalize the workload?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sorrell, Jan 10, 2017.

1. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

Tell me if I am the only one who sees people playing games to look busy and push their workload on others or if you try to look busy so you don't get an unfair amount of work dumped on you.
    Case in point...the co-worker who pretends to organize the file room while on their cell phone. The mom/dad/spouse who carries a secret stash of toilet paper to force the lazy ones to replace the roll themselves for once...or any kind of pretending to be busy while shirking an unwanted task.
    Today my two male co-workers were so absorbed on the internet that I was doing all the work, so I chose to do an offline task and redirected all incoming traffic to them. I don't like playing games and believe in sharing the work equaly or even doing more than my share to give another hard worker a well deserved break, but I'll be dogged if I going to bust gut so they can surf the net and not get the work done!!!
    So what have you or others done to lessen the load at work or home openly or sneakily to avoid open conflict?
    I literally told the guys today... I don't play those games ... making my co-workers take on all the nasty chores while I pretend to work but don't... but...when I am the only one answering the phone, sometimes I will call the weather station to look busy to force them to start picking up the phone rather than them thinking I will do it for them.
    PS... I'd never do that to put the burden on them just to encourage them to do their share without having to nag. It's easier to manipulate the situation than to get an attitude and cause conflict I suppose.

2. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Ugh I hate that!

Thankfully no one at my work does that. But we're a very small and overworked team if anyone started shuffling their duties it'd be felt that day.

sorrell likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

lets play this with them..ready - I keep track of who makes the most mistakes while observing you!! The one who makes the most..does them by themselves the next day. They deserve that. I caught an employee hiding in the bathroom once sitting down, while everyone else was racing like maniacs with sweat pouring everywhere. No more cell phones on the job site - thanks to them. Pist me off royal. There's time in between, just not on the job. It'd be like jockeys getting off and making a call during a race. Unbelievable.

Friesiangirl and sorrell like this.
  4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

No, I don't play games at work. I also don't realize if people are playing games against me.

I much prefer that, should there be a problem, someone would point it out to me. I would accept their constructive criticism and fix the issue.

I'm dealing with this at my work right now. I hate it. I have no idea what kind of games a certain someone is playing, or what he is running around telling my boss. Let's just all be up front about things.

Arem likes this.
  5. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

I think the longer you work and the more jobs or committees you work on, the more you see this kind of thing. It's great to work with people who are all focused and dedicated to the same goal, but when people don't care or are lazy or feel overburdened and underappreciated, then the games tend to emerge as a survival mechanism. Unfortunately the hardest worker does not always get rewarded.
    I told my bosses that for one week I was ONLY going to do my assigned workload not the shared workload to see who else actually pitched in.... no one did...bosses then stepped in and reminded slackers that shared meant all equally. There is always a slacker in a family/ group/work that plays people though to get out of doing an unpleasant chore whether it is changing a diaper or putting a milk carton back in the cooler with a dropper full of milk in it :-D

Varisha likes this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I don't play games. Period.

Its stupid and juvenile. But having worked with union people, I can say games are the norm.

Arem likes this.
  7. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

Lazy people are the norm. I was much happier when I used to work with them when I focused on my job rather than on other people not doing what I imagined their fair share to be. You can only control your actions, not the actions of others. Game playing is childish and gets you nothing but misery.

Faster Horses and Varisha like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I had a boss and a co-worker who would sit around, many days, all day, and talk about football, or drinking games they played in college, or cars they had. It was a small group, 5 people, and two of them doing nothing had an absolutely devastating effect on - getting things done.

On the days they didn't talk 8 hours straight about such things, the co-worker would walk down the hall and stand on the loading dock with a secretary, and they'd sit around and smoke cigarettes, that could be for oh, five or six hours straight. Or they'd go in and work a while, and then come back; it would add up to five or six hours.

At 5 minutes to 5, the guy would walk out the door, throwing his work on my desk as he passed by, and he'd tell me to do it. It was too hard for him.

I'd stay late and do his project. He'd hand the work in and say he did it.

The boss 'sandbagged' a project - delayed it - I think in order to make another manager also working on it, look bad. Kept claiming the other manager had not given us enough information to start.

here's how I handled the problem:

I quit.

9. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member

Slc I think you win the prize! It has been my belief as well that the hardest working people often quit or get let go while the game players keep playing the game.

We go through a lot of people at work. I have trained about a dozen in the last year. They keep hiring people who think it is a fun job and it can be but you've got to get the work done. Those over 40 seem to have a better work ethic.
    I've always been one to do my own work not pass it on to others, but not ashamed to ask for help or too proud to offer it. Love my job just tired of slackers that make life tougher or turn me into Ms. Mean Jeans when they repeatedly play the shirk work game!
    Thankfully my family and friends are over achievers!!! Makes life at home a lot more pleasant.

10. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Where I work, lots of people tend to try and throw others under the bus a lot I find. Just certain people which is rather annoying.

I make quite a few notes on certain things I do so that I have proof that hey, I did this! Or was told this was the way etc.

I do waste some time at work, not to make it look like I have soooo much going on etc but because sometimes my brain needs that mental break from reading/entering the jibber jabber I enter. I try not to do it much or often but I do. I will read a news article or read a couple posts on here. I end up wasting less time if I take a break and let my mind focus on something else for a minute or two. If I just stare off into space it ends up being much longer then that.

There is a guy in my area of the office who is ALWAYS late. ALWAYS. LIke 20-30 minutes and it always varies. Never stays late either. Well he likes to constantly be on his phone texting etc all day. Has multiple videos open on youtube all day long (think 10+) and the kicker....he will spend an hour PLUS in the bathroom at least once a day, usually 2 or more. Never seems to get talked to about any of that either. He also sleeps at his desk on and off all day too. Very frustrating! There is someone else in the office who, when pregnant, would be away from the reception desk, making other people have to do her job - WHILE TAKING SELFIES AND POSTING THEM ON FB FOR ALL TO SEE! NOTHING was done about that and she has management on there.