Fungus in Horses Ear

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by defadiamond, Aug 23, 2004.

1. defadiamond

defadiamond Registered

Does anyone have any recommendations for the white fungus that is developing in my 8 yr old QH mare's ears?

2. o0HunteR0o

o0HunteR0o Senior Member+

My horse had that last eyar and the vet gave me some ointement..forget what its called, I think it starts with an A but it has Nystatin in it which I know is a good fungus killer. I'll look at the tube when I go to the barn tommorow.

3. Simon Says

Simon Says Senior Member+

i know my vet makes this stuff we call Green Slime, i think the real name is Dermarex, it is a sulfur based "slime" and it works.

4. o0HunteR0o

o0HunteR0o Senior Member+

Ok, I went to the barn today and looked at the stuff. Its called Animax ointment, and it worked great on my horses ears when he had the white fungus in them.

5. tn walker

tn walker Senior Member+

Are you sure that it is really a fungus? Are they white spots varying in size? These are called Aural Plaques. They do not pose a threat to equine health, and therefore do not have to be treated with anything. I have never heard of aural plaques as being treatable before, so I am not sure how these creams and ointments work.....out of curiosity, what is the active ingredient in these ointments for those who have them?

6. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

do you mean like warts in the ear!?

7. defadiamond2

defadiamond2 Full Member

Not positive it's a fungus, the spots do vary in size. The research I have done so far has lead me to a fungus or the Aural Plaques as you had stated. A friend had said to try a little mineral oil. It's not bad, just a few small spots. She's an all black quarter horse and they stand out. Just curious on how to get rid of them. Thanks!!!