Fun things to do with my horse out of saddle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by westerngirl14, Mar 24, 2008.

1. westerngirl14

westerngirl14 Senior Member

I want some games or/and activities that are fun for both me and my horse to do, out of saddle......... I don't want her to think I'm there just to feed her, or ride her; I want to do fun stuff with her too... Any ideas!

Everything greatly appreciated!:D

2. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

i like to play around with my horse teaching him to bow and stuff with carrots- and you can just take her out to graze her, every horse loves that ;)

3. MyhorseAnnie

MyhorseAnnie Senior Member

Get a soccer ball or something, and teach her to play soccer/kick ball/ make the ball move and chase it lol. You can buy these really big squishy balls, that you can get to play with your horse. They look really cool!

4. blueeyedhorse

blueeyedhorse Senior Member

I like to just play around and bond with my horse on the ground. Of course we do a ton of respect exercises such as yielding on the ground ect. but we also like to run around the arena(he follows me) and work on our showmanship. I also like to ride him bridleless(when no one is in there because we haven't perfected that yet;) Just have fun with your horse:)

5. merlin

merlin Senior Member+

I walk around the arena with my horse and he follows me everwhere.
    I stop and he stops I trot and he trots and I back up and he backs up. I do a gigantic step and he does a big step too. we Kinda dance.. its really cool.

6. westerngirl14

thanx for all the ideas.... I do some fun things with her, but I was just looking for some new ideas.:D

Does anyone else have an idea?

7. banjosowner

banjosowner Full Member

i like to massage my horses ears and test his response to different spooky objects. But my horse is pretty spooky, so he needs that.

8. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

I used to take a tarp out and run balls over it. Indie used to love to squeal and run away bucking at the crinkle from the tarp :)

She always came back for more...

9. westerngirl14

thanx......... for all the ideas! Today I decided to break the routine, and instead of feeding her inside, I put her hay outside, and while she ate, I groomed her all over, and when I was finished with that, I hopped up on her back, and layed down...... we just totally relaxed; her munching hay, me up there lying down, and the birds singing, and the glorious spring sunshine pouring over us....... It was an awesome "pony/owner moment" !!!!!

I'm going to do that more often, or something similar, to just break routine!

10. Klaycock

Klaycock Senior Member

I dont know your horses living arangements but I live in the country and take my horses for walks. give me exersize and they love to go back to the lake and play in the water W/O me on their backs too..lol