Fun exercises to do with a beginner rider? (pics)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MysticRealm, Dec 26, 2006.

1. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

So I am teaching my mom to ride. She has only been riding for about 6 weeks and she is riding my gorgeous Markie mare. Markie is doing really well with her. She can already w/t/c, 2 point at walk and trot, circle large or small, trot poles, sitting trot transitions. So I was wondering if you guys knew of any excercises I could do that would make it challenging and combine a few of those elements together so it wasn't just trot walk 2 point walk, that kind of thing. Thanks.

Here are a couple pictures. Please don't critique as she is just a beginner and I know what she is doing incorrectly.These pics are a poule weeks old.

[​IMG]
    My mom trotting
    [​IMG]
    My Markie is so good.
    [​IMG]

Cantering. Still learning how to sit down and back

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Try getting her to navigate her way around a line of poles or cones.

3. Cavalier

Cavalier Banned

Geez, she's certainly learnt a lot in 6 weeks!

Lunge work is always great, just to help secure her position. Balance exercises on the lunge such as 1 arm out, 2 arms out, 1 hand on head, touch right knee with left hand etc.

You could set up a pattern of bending poles to work on control of the horse.

What if you guys went on a small, quiet trail ride together just at the walk?

4. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

Thanks for the replies.
    Chester>> We have actually done that. Only at the walk but I have been adding some tighter turns and different patterns when doing our trot poles.
    Cavelier>> My Markie's a great horse but she's never been an angel on the lunge so I don't know about that. She also takes a more advanced ride on the trails but I haven't really done either of those since we brought her back from her year off so she might be better (she is so much quieter than she was) and if she is good I would deffinately try those things.
    Thanks guys!

5. Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage Senior Member+

WOW! For your mom being a beginner she looks AWSOME!!

Tell her she is doing a WONDERFUL job!!!

I don't know about suggestions on things to do, but I read your one comment about, "shes learning to sit tall and back" but it seems she cannot do that because her reins are so short she sort of needs to sit that way to get her hands in the right position.

But like I said, she looks amazing!

6. minihorses4ever

minihorses4ever Senior Member+

I want to add, I think balance exercises on the lunge will help. That's what I did, and it helped me develop my seat TREMENDOUSLY. I am sure different things work for different people, but this was my biggie when I rode.

Your mom looks great for only riding 6 weeks!:)

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Are you sure your mom didn't ride in a previous life? She looks awesome!

I agree with the cantering. Have her lengthen her reins. Then if she wants to be able to control the horse, she will be forced to bring her body back in order to take up contact.

Everyone else has mentioned some good things though. How about doing barrel/pole patterns (just at a walk for now obviously) to help build her navigation and balance skills?

8. Laury

Laury Senior Member

How about "Follow the Leader" with another horse? The second rider can even model correct form, with some people that is easier to understand than being told.

9. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

working on transitions is always good.
    I'm teaching one of my cousins to ride at the moment, she's a little further on than your mom because she had lessons at a riding school for six months before she got her own pony and I took over but has responded really well to trying to get downward transitions without it "looking" like she's doing anything. It has really helped stop her giving over-exaggerated aids.
    We've also been doing lots of work with no hands (with me or someone else leading) to get her to keep her hands still when she's trotting. We've progressed on to now stirrups and no hands now too.
    A good exercise for balance is to get them moving about - reaching arms up high, touching toes, touching the poll.
    I've also been teaching Beth a few basics by using games. Getting her to use her legs more to stear by taking away one hand with which she must pass me a batton or a flag. Getting her to think about bending around a barrel and turning with the horse's hocks underneath her by placing a cone which she must stay inside of while she turns.
    trotting poles are fun too, real stearing practice to get her to aim for one of the painted sections of the pole and getting her to trot over the very end section of the pole which the horse could easily side-step to test her control.
    I'm going to teach her a basic little riding test too, probably the pony club walk/trot test or something similar I make up myself, to get her used to riding a pattern. I'll teach it a bit at a time and then test her every time I give her a lesson.
    I'm also going to give her "homework" when I go back to uni, a booklet of info which I will then make up questions from and test her on when I get back.

10. i_luv_wildfire

i_luv_wildfire Senior Member+

Ever heard of 7-7-7? It's done at a trot and you sit for seven strides, do 2-point for seven, and post for seven. And then start over again, of course. It can be challenging to keep the rhythm going and transition smoothly from sitting to 2-point, 2-point to posting, etc. Plus she'll get practice with all three different ways, basically all at once.