Frozen

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I'm in Connecticut and it's just a frozen wasteland of regret here.

manesntails and Arem like this.
  2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Both of my horses are at my trainers in CT, and I'm venturing down there on Thursday when we have the "heatwave."

manesntails, Arem and Mcdreamer like this.
  3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Had a sleet/ freezing rain storm last night. Thank Goodness today was forecast above freezing, quickly, because the driveway was 70 ft (22m) of Black Ice. And just for 'fun' it has a wicked slope on 3/4 of it, just enough flat at top to park a couple cars. I salted it/ calcium chloride melt; it laughed. A second dose too. Slipped twice checking for a usable reaction, luckily just went to knees. Sun hitting it did the most good. Neighbors may have been pretty tired of inverted shovel scraping on it by then. Did I mention I was supposed to be in work early? Didnt happen, not after watching a couple cars slide the stop/ sign nearby. Wasnt going to risk the truck or cross traffic on a days wages, which are much lower than any damage that could have been done going sideways/ or into tree or traffic. :no:

4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Went out to lunch on Saturday with everyone in my shop and while we where eating the sprinkler system froze and burst. Flooded the restaurant and we had to go out the back due to the entrance being under a waterfall.
    It was an experience.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Reminds me when we had the short term freeze you guys are experiencing. We were supposed to go to a restaurant for a Christmas Eve dinner. Got a call just before we left that they had no heat. My husband asked what the temp was, 37. Obviously didn't go there.

Arem likes this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Ya I am not sitting through dinner while freezing to death.
    My dad's gf keeps the house near late fall temps year round. Their electric bill is over $200 a month. Mine is about $50 with gas.

7. canadiancharlie

canadiancharlie Senior Member

They've already cancelled schools here for tomorrow because it's supposed to be -40c overnight and into the morning with the wind.
    I avoided being outside the best I could yesterday and today was inevitable..... I eventually dropped something went to pick it up and just laid on the ground of the auction mart. I didn't even care. It was out of the wind at least lmao! -23...-31 with the wind....

[​IMG]

8. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Yesterday we, in southern Middle Tennessee, were in the mid-60's (F).

Today some areas will see 70(F); I should see 69(F).

Tomorrow (Friday), the highs will be anywhere from just at freezing to 45(F) with freezing rain/sleet/snow
    :faint::willynilly::faint:

.2" (two tenth's) doesn't sound like much ice but it is a lot when it accumulates on tree branches, as folks further north know.

My area could see 1"-2" of snow to as little as a dusting. One year my driveway saw 8" when they said that, lollol

We are currently enjoying the warm air from the Gulf of Mexico --- that air is going to collide with the cold air coming at us from the NW ---- and that is why we could see more than a dusting of snow.

Here's some ice skating humor that has been all over TV. I guess his wife couldn't stop laughing at what their outdoor camera caught, lollol. He hung in there pretty good.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  9. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Yesterday we, in southern Middle Tennessee, were in the mid-60's (F).

Today some areas will see 70(F); I should see 69(F).

Tomorrow (Friday), the highs will be anywhere from just at freezing to 45(F) with freezing rain/sleet/snow
    :faint::willynilly::faint:

.2" (two tenth's) doesn't sound like much ice but it is a lot when it accumulates on tree branches, as folks further north know.

My area could see 1"-2" of snow to as little as a dusting. One year my driveway saw 8" when they said that, lollol

We are currently enjoying the warm air from the Gulf of Mexico --- that air is going to collide with the cold air coming at us from the NW ---- and that is why we could see more than a dusting of snow.

Here's some ice skating humor that has been all over TV. I guess his wife couldn't stop laughing at what their outdoor camera caught, lollol. He hung in there pretty good.

kodemiester likes this.
  10. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

It was three Monday morning and now it's almost 50 and the snow and ice are long gone.

Tomorrow? 8-12 inches will drop.

Oh.... Ohio o_O

Arem likes this.