Friesians Jumping?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by megan_kat22, Aug 9, 2006.

1. megan_kat22

megan_kat22 Senior Member+

I've been looking at Friesians lately and noticed VERY few are trained in jumping, why is this??? All of them are dressage trained or started though.

2. horseychic_001

horseychic_001 Senior Member

cuz of their build, they are partly draft horses, so their build is quite heavy...not to say that ALL drafts dont jump or anything

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member+

Not just part draft, they ARE draft, from what I've been reading.
    Basically, their knees and joints will break down faster because of the weight of the landing.

4. Cara

Cara Senior Member+

like others said...

friesians should be treated like other drafts. Friesians are cart horses, which have recently been being bred for dressage. You CAN jump a friesian, though it may not be pretty, I'm sure there are some that enjoy it, and such - but don't expect a wonderful jumper (of course there are the few exceptions, but normally...)

5. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

It is their size, build, and weight.

They are heavy horses, and their joints will tear down very quickly compared to a horse.

MANY successful jumpers are draft/horse crosses. They take after more of the "HORSE" build, with some draft characteristics....without the heavy weight.

You can jump, just remember, you are asking a mack truck to manuver a course that a VW Bug is built to do.

6. megan_kat22

megan_kat22 Senior Member+

aw maaaaaan lol, i was wanting to take a friesian into eventing, oooooh well lol i wouldnt want to risk it

7. Cara

Cara Senior Member+

if you're looking into a new horse, and you really like friesians, consider a friesian or draft cross...

though friesians and friesian crosses are very expensive these days...

8. appy99

appy99 Senior Member

Well I know that Friesian's are cold blooded meaning that they are alot more laid back and more gentle than hot blooded horses like Throughbreds and Arabians. They are also better for small children because of that.

9. Mary6478

Mary6478 Senior Member+

1/2 fressians and 1/2 tbs are really good eventers!! they have the best of both breeds

10. Feliche

Feliche Senior Member+

It would be so cool to have an eventing freisian!! How elegant!! Like BW said, it would be like trying to manuver and 18 wheeler like a mini cooper :rolleyes: But theya re sure pretty!!