Freeze-proof outdoor automatic waterers - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by taliacristianna, Jan 21, 2009.

1. taliacristianna

taliacristianna Senior Member+

I see some advertised as being "freeze proof" but I'm wondering if any of you have had any real experience with one of these?

This winter our temps got down to -20. Is there such thing as an automatic waterer that won't freeze up at that kind of temp?

2. LuckyGurl

LuckyGurl Senior Member+

They do exsist but Im not sure of the brand names. We have two and they havent froze up yet this winter. We went through a month that was between -40 to 50C (-40 to -58F) on and off. They did get plenty of ice build up around the edge where the horses would drip water. We had to keep knocking that off, but the water itself never froze, and they have had access to it all winter :)

3. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

I don't know about freeze-proof, but our sinking de-icer has worked really well and it is plastic tank safe. When the pipes to the barn froze and we were getting large tubs of water from the neighbor's well, it kept the tank it was in ice-free. I think it was about $30.

4. taliacristianna

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for. If you ever get a chance to check the name brand please let me know. I'd be very interested in looking at that same kind.

Talia

5. taliacristianna

That's what I'm using now. The issue I have this year is there's no water line ran to the barn so I have to run a hose from the outdoor faucet next to the house. It's such a pain!

I figure if I'm going to run a water line in the spring anyway I may as well install some automatic waterers then. They seem so convenient!

6. pinevalley

pinevalley Senior Member+

Nelson makes a good one. The people I horse sit for have them and I was just asking her about them the other day-she loves hers.
    I know Mirafount makes one too but stay away from them as they are prone to issues, the last I heard.

There are perhaps one or two other mfg but I am not sure of names. Nelson is the one I will go with next year when I have one installed.

taliacristianna likes this.
  7. taliacristianna

Excellent! I will definitely look into the Nelson brand.

8. farmeress

farmeress Banned

We have automatic heated waterers in our cattle ranges as well as our horse paddocks.

The company that is best known on both sides of the border (US/CAN) is Ritchie.

They have several different styles for different needs.

taliacristianna likes this.
  9. pinevalley

pinevalley Senior Member+

Thank you! Ritchie was the other one I was trying to remember....how is their service, any issues there?