Free Legal Advice!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Fire Chik

Fire Chik Senior Member

I'm a district court clerk, work for one of the judges. I get asked for legal advise all the time, I'm not a lawyer and cant give legal advise even if I wanted to.
    Some of the worst are a select few of the attorneys (no disrespect bellalou, like every profession there are some bad eggs) 90% of them are great people and a lot of fun to work with. But the others like to call and ask how I think the judge will rule on a motion, what they should submit and when I think they will get their response. Makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Omg! It wouldn't even occur to me to do that!! :eek:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Fire Chik

Fire Chik Senior Member

Now you have something to try when you want to drive a clerk nuts lol Typically its newer civil attorneys that call and ask crazy things. Somedays I think I should get a crystalball for my desk :)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Oh, CIVIL attorneys! Those people are nuts! :rofl:

Seriously, I've worked on a couple of civil cases - criminal law is much more civil! Civil cases seem to consist of the attorneys sniping at each other, refusing to respond to discovery, filing endless motions, and racking up huge bills.

The client seems to have nothing to do with any of it. I hate civil litigation. Give me crooks any day!

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

This is extremely important...and something many folks don't seem to realize.

I have a good friend in the Philadelphia PD's office. Her workload is enormous as you can imagine, but what she focuses on is exactly what was just mentioned...making sure that the process is adhered to and all rights are properly upheld. Guilt or innocence is independent of that.

Other professions have similar traits. Realtors, for example, always represent the seller unless they are specifically contracted to be a "buyer broker" which usually involves a fee. Most will try to do well by a buyer, but ultimately, it's their job to sell the property for the highest possible price to benefit the seller.

Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  6. Fire Chik

Fire Chik Senior Member

That is spot on!!!! And civil cases move sooooooooooooooooo slow!

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Thanks for being someone who gets it! I love, Love, LOVE what I do! And it is so important that people realize what the reality is. It really isn't like TV.

The first thing I tell a new client is "I am YOUR lawyer. I am here for YOU. I'm not an employee of the court. I am working for you."

Because even criminal defendants often don't realize that someone is actually on their side.

Alsosusieq2, Arem and Jim_in_PA like this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that they, however, also need to be educated about what your role actually is being their attorney... ;)

9. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

People: So, what do you do?
    Me: I'm an electrical engineer. I do commercial and industrial building design.
    People hear: I'm an electrician.
    People say: Can you tell me why "X electrical problem" happens? Can you fix my "Y electrical problem"? Can you replace/add/remove "Z electrical device or equipment"?
    Me: No. I'm an engineer, not an electrician. (Even though sometimes the answer is yes I can, the answer is still no I won't)

Binca, Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Hmmmm. People don't ask me for free advice/service. Do you think it is because I work in a prison?

I weld and used to be a licensed electrician so I feel your pain with the free advice/service thing. Noone wants to pay me to do the job but they want me to tell them how to do it.