Free Legal Advice!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. I'm surprised you went into criminal law myself, it's IMO the hardest and lowest paying unfortunately. :(

2. Alsosusieq2

Tell them you're a special agent for the IRS. You should have really quiet flights. ;)

manesntails, waresbear and bellalou like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Oh heck, I can only imagine.. :no:

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Everyone has their thing.

I didn't get into law to make money. Last thing on my mind, to be honest. I am a passionate believer in the right to counsel and the right to a fair hearing in a court of law. There is no other kind of law I want to practice, and I have no interest in being on the side of the prosecution.

Every day, I uphold people's constitutional right to an attorney. I work to ensure that law enforcement, the prosecution, and the courts dot every I and cross every T. It's really easy to label someone a "criminal" and not care about what happens to them. I care. If the prosecution has not met their burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, I am there to point it out. If they've charged my client with violations that are not supported by the facts, I'm there to argue to the court that those charges should be dropped. If law enforcement lied, or failed to follow established procedure, or didn't bother to get a warrant, I'm there to call them on it.

I am the voice for people who go through life without a voice. I am perhaps the one person they'll ever meet who will stand next to them and treat them with respect. And I can make a difference, even though it's generally a small one, in the lives of the people I represent.

I do God's work. And I don't even believe in God.

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

OMG!!! For realz!!????

I've been looking for someone to help me out with this commercial chicken thing I've got going on the side.... :ROFLMAO:

6. Alsosusieq2

I follow a public defender on Twitter, he's amazing. You just gave me goosebumps. No, it's not all about money..

7. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

When I trained for the public and I ran into a problem with a client's horse, I would haul over to another trainer I apprenticed with. She would show me what I was doing wrong or what other way to do something. I paid her, as she wasn't giving it away for free, nor did I expect her to.
    I had a few people expect me to get on their horse and "train" it. One was a relative (inlaw or rather outlaw), I said the horse comes here and you pay a monthly charge for 60 days minimum. We don't speak anymore, been 20 years and I still don't know how they caught the horse their kid couldn't ride or what happened to it. Not that I really care.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

That'll be 1.3 million.

;)

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I can't say that potential clients of my retirement woodworking business ask for "free", but many have very unrealistic "museum quality for Walmart prices" expectations. In one situation, the potential client really liked the proposal, but asked me to produce the product for a particular number...which was actually less than the material cost. (these were table menu holders for a restaurant CNC cut from Corian solid surface material) I left out the expletives, but was pretty clear, in no un-certain terms, that even double that number wasn't going to be enough to justify my time and efforts. I do cut true friends some small breaks when I can, but my shop rate is reasonable and comparable to other craftsmen.

I get a lot more money for my tack trunks than most folks, but it takes a special buyer who appreciates the furniture quality and customization. Folks who ask, "Can't you do it for $350 like these other folks""get the hairy eyeball for sure...

This kind of thing is what really makes me enjoy doing subcontract work for other craftsmen a whole lot more than doing work for the general public. I just got done cutting chair seats for a local maker on my CNC to help him speed up production now that he's taking orders. He gets $1200 retail for each chair. Paying me to cut the seats (two sided operation on my CNC) does cost him money, but he more than makes up for it in time savings since he doesn't have to hog out a lot of material by hand for the "butt part"...he just has to refine it with his (very sharp) hand tools. And he pays up-front, fast and with ACH so I have no fees collecting the money. THAT's the kind of customer I appreciate!

Binca, Alsosusieq2, Arem and 4 others like this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member