Free Legal Advice!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Oct 9, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, not really. That’s what I’m asked for constantly though. :rolleyes:

Who else gets asked for professional freebies? I’m sure the trainers do! And the medical professionals. And the auto mechanics.

Let’s hear some of the outrageous stories. I’m heading into court but I’ll tell some when I return. :ROFLMAO:

Alsosusieq2, Binca, ginster and 3 others like this.
  2. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

When I was working a girl close to my age found out I had horses and asked if she could come over anytime with anyone and come ride my horses. Yea, no sweetie.

But as far as at work...I was a secretary for a fuel oil company and regularly had people crying to/at me and asking me to pay for their fuel and/or to give them a break and if I didn't, their lack of money would cause their child, dog, cat, or parrots ect..would freeze and their death would be on my shoulders. So that was fun.

Alsosusieq2 and bellalou like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Only other trainers asking me how, after claiming or buying one of our race horses, I “get them“ to do something, or what I had been rubbing them with.

One of the jewels was: “How do you catch him in the stall~!!“

I would just look at them o_O.
    Man, if ya can't catch a horse........in a STALL~??!!
    Might as well get out of the business.

I am not telling you how to do stuff~!! :no: :rolleyez: :crazy:
    You're my dang competition~!!
    We race one of ours against him, we aren't going to hand YOU the win, fer crying out loud~!! :rolleyes:

4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Nothing too crazy but I frequently get the
    'You can haul a horse/hay/whatever for me right?'

Sure I can, 2.00 a loaded mile plus fuel surcharge ;)

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I practice criminal defense. So naturally I get questions about completely different areas all the time.

People really have no concept that Property Law is not the same as Bankruptcy Law, which is not the same as Personal Injury Law.

Asking me for advice about Property Law is like asking a heart surgeon to do plastic surgery. It’s gonna be ugly!

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

When I worked at the boarding barn and was also apprenticing with a farrier, I was at the barn, offf the clock, on my own time, working with my farrier.

Naturally, as the apprentice of that farrier who is familiar with the horses he trims and the pastures and such, I went to go get the horses he does for us, since the owner wasn’t there and the on the clock employee couldn’t be bothered.

Then another farrier came. And an owner of one of the horses he does. And they both got offended and caused a stink because I wouldn’t go get horses for them *off the clock* *when I’m there specifically working with someone else.*

That’s one of many reasons why I NEVER would have boarded my horse, there. I wouldn’t have been able to “clock out” EVER.

bellalou likes this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

“But it will only take a minute!”

First of all, no it won’t. And second of all, my time is literally money. That’s how I make money.

manesntails, Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

*raises hand *

I generally don't mind it, i'm happy to help if i can. What gets on my nerves is someone asking me to give them a massage. #1 i am not a massage therapist, i hate giving them when i'm ON the clock :rofl: #2 when i do give them, i wear gloves, and i don't have any gloves, lol

Like recently at school drop off, the lady who helped get DD out of the car told me about her son getting hurt getting out of the shower and did i think he needed an x-ray, i told her yes, but likely he'd just be put in a walking boot, and come to find out, he did have a fracture and they put him in a boot.

9. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

3rd year (graduate in May) DPT student here. Anyone who discovers what I'm doing tells me about everyone they know who has had physical therapy and is doing well now. Then they tell me about everyone they know who is currently injured or dysfunctional in some way. Then I get jokes that they'll remember me for the next time they have back pain. Everyone assumes we love giving swedish massages... hint: I'll never give anyone a swedish massage. Our "massages" hurt. We're fondly referred to as physical terrorists for a reason... :rolleyes:

10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

@DocsLglyBlonde or the opposite, how they went to physical therapy one time and their back/ foot/ neck still hurts. "Why didn't you go back?" ...... because they didn't feel better after that one time, or because the only reason they went was because their dr told them to go so they went once... lol, i tell them we're not magicians, they have to do their part too!