Four T Ranch Update!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bnttyra, Feb 21, 2017.

1. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

It has been awhile since I shared about our little cows so I thought I would give a quick update.

Both the girls (Hottie and Swishy) are very pregnant and getting closer to calving. Hottie has 46 days left until her due date. If she holds like she has for the last 3 years, she will calve out 1 day early between 5-7 pm. Swishy has a bit longer, 88 days until calving due date. Both are getting big, Hottie definitely looking like she will burst any day now.
    Hottie is on the right.
    [​IMG]

Moolan is growing up! Almost as tall as her momma. She will be officially a yearling on March 10th. She loves attention and likes to go on the walks with our neighbor when they hit that side of the property.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She and Gunner are friends and play all the time.

The new crew is settling in pretty well. Still haven't gotten halters on them yet but hopefully this weekend we can work on that.
    [​IMG]
    This is the new heifer, Penelope. She will be a yearling in early May. Super fancy registered lowline that will be my daughter's futurity heifer this year.
    [​IMG]
    This is Thatcher, DD's show steer.
    [​IMG]

And this is Kevin, the boy's show steer.
    [​IMG]

Both steers are looking great and we are super excited about having our own lowline/small breed market steer class. Sold the steer we produced to a young boy in our county so we are now trying to come up with some fun awards for winning the class. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

2. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

26 days left for Hottie, I didn't think she could get any bigger but she has. Poor thing is just huge. Swishy is starting to look pretty pregnant as well. We baby proofed the barn stall and turn out and will be getting some straw to add here in the next week or so. She (being Hottie) won't be moved to the barn until a week before she is due.

Just 4 years ago we only had the one heifer and now we will be up to 8 here shortly.

3. Standardbredgirl

Standardbredgirl Senior Member

Will there be pictures of the calves?:whistle::D Beautiful cows and steers!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. heartland

heartland Senior Member

I think you should put Penelope on a trailer and send her to me. Please? Lol

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

You might want to rethink that, she is a pistol. We are going to have to do a lot of work to tame her. We got halters on them which helps a lot but they all are still hard to work with unlike Moolan who follows us around.

And yes, I will be sure to post lots of pictures of the new calves as soon as they get here.

Alsosusieq2 and heartland like this.
  6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Picture of Hottie last night.
    [​IMG]

That is one big belly!!!

She reminds me of this video. :rofl:

Here is a giraffe one.

ginster, Varisha and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Did any one tell April about that giraffe video? Your herd is looking good. When they came home they were cute and small, looking at those mamas now, lol

Alsosusieq2 and bnttyra like this.
  8. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

It is crazy when I look at the older photos. Hottie looked almost skinny with her first calf, the one she lost. She changed so much. They are definitely spoiled and love their treats.

9. heartland

heartland Senior Member

This thread is feeding my cow addiction :D

Can't wait to see the calf pics!

10. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

We are 10 days out from Hottie's due date and I don't think she will make it that long. She scared me this morning as I was walking out the house. She was holding her tail up like she might be in labor. When I sent my son over to look at her she headed straight for the barn thinking she was getting fed. I went to check on her and she seemed ok but, man, she is showing all the signs of having that calf any day now. I told my husband to keep an eye on her and to put her in the barn if he thinks she might calve.

The plan was to clean out that stall and get her set up in the barn this weekend but I am not certain she will wait that long!!