Founder prevention!? Help!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mkoktavy, May 5, 2018.

1. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I've been farm sitting the 4 boys this week, I just got to the barn and flash went through the fence and was on grass... I have no clue how long but I'm freaking out! I put them out at 630 this morning and left for work and just got back now. I've never dealt with founder before, what signs should I be lookin For? Should I ice his feet and soak his hay!?
    The winter paddock they're in has had grass slowly growing for the last couple weeks and I do graze him, but again, worst case he could have been out all day! Help!
    As of now he looks to be his normal self, drank alot when I brought him in but looks normal. Will taking his temp tell me anything?
    I need to breathe...

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

If he isn't a short, fat, super easy keeping pony, chances are likely that one day on grass is NBD. :)

GONE ROPING likes this.
  3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I really hope so, thank you so much for the reply. I'm probably going to still be checking on him all night!! I'm in contact with my farrier right now as well (he's a pro with founder)

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it. He's a young growing horse, so it's very unlikely that he'll founder.

I'm with @Faster Horses - Flash isn't the right candidate to founder off a day of grass that isn't super lush anyways.

GONE ROPING likes this.
  5. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Phew. I'm a little less spastic now lol Went into major panic mode!
    I did ice his feet and soak his hay anyway, didn't give him any grain and loaded up his stall with fresh bedding. Constantly checking his feet too and they feel ok so that's good. I'll be able to check on him throughout the night.
    Maybe if he didn' have an emergency every year I could relax a little bit more!
    Good thing he's a good sport! Although he doesn't look very impressed... 20180505_200534.jpg

Alsosusieq2 and Kristal H like this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If he was mine, I would give him a gram of bitter or some banamine just to help keep any inflammation down. Then I would feed him some probiotic to help ward if any hind gut acidosis and some psyllium to lower the sugar absorbtion in the gut..... this would help me sleep tonight.

7. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Hmm the only thing I have is a probiotics which he gets daily anyway. Would bute help with the inflammation in place of banamine? I know I should have banamine on hand but I don't... :blushing:

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I would also not be too worried, but would give Bute or banamine as an anti-inflammatory just in case. Icing isn't going to hurt, and an NSAID dosed appropriately isn't going to hurt, but I would not expect the worst. Check his hoof heat and more importantly digital pulses at rest to see if anything changes :)

mkoktavy likes this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Give him a gram of bute, and extra probiotic tonight and tomorrow. The way a horse founders on spring grass is the sugar fermenting in the hindgut builds up kills the good bacteria the. and builds into toxin that causes inflammation when the hoods get inflamed the lamina swell and die and then the coffin bone starts to drop.

It can happen to any horse and can take as little as 30 min of grazing if the horse isn’t able to handle the increase in sugar. Signs often don’t appear for a day or two.

ginster and mkoktavy like this.
  10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I am the type a very type A person that would rather tKe precautions than take a risk.... but bute, probiotic and pskjiuj are inexpensive and won’t do harm.