For those of you wondering what a 30 y/o tooth looks like...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I got home from Houston on Wednesday to find Samson stinking to high heavens, swollen over his L sinus, weepy eye, and thick stanky and plentiful snot coming from his left nostril. My vet came out and found a loose upper molar on the left (I think she said #9?) And said it was causing a sinus infection as well. He was on 13 pills of metronidazole and 12 of SMZs 2x/day :eek: but went off his food so we stopped the metro.

By today he was eating pretty normal and was feeling good! My vet came back and pulled the tooth today, and after a really long day for them, he managed to let his tooth go very easily :D He should be feeling much better, despite still having horrible teeth. You can see how shiny smooth his grinding surfaces are, which is why he can't chew anything other than mush anymore. He's on SMZs for another week, and is still waking up a little bit from his drugs, but was a good boy. It's not every day you get an up close look at such a relic :D Poor guy was drugged and I was snapping photos of him!

Attached Files:

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Poor guy! Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oh, pretty cool!

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Awww. Glad he's got you to take such good care of him. Hugs to mr. Samson...as hugs to you for having to crush all those dang pills !

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

:confused:
    Now, that is one ugggggggly looking tooth~!!
    But the horse is Gorgeous~!! :loveflag:

6. DocsLglyBlonde

Lol it sure is! I tried to not get offended when my vet kept saying how horrific his teeth are... but then she'd follow up with saying how cute he is and good he looks, so I let it slide :rofl: I don't know if better care earlier on in life would have made a difference at this age, but he was not maintained well during his younger days.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  7. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

HAHA, you can tell how pleased he is about your camera in his face. Glad his tooth is out and he can go back to his old relic of a self.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

He sometimes sweats with anesthetics, hence the fleece... I left him locked in for a few hours before I freed him and fed him dinner and he seems to have had quite a nice time in his shavings :rofl: But old toothless is happily eating his mooshies so no complaints from me :)

Attached Files:

9. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I expected to see an ugly tooth, but I did not expect to see such a healthy gorgeous horse!!

He has such an adorable face, I want one just like him:loveflag:

ginster, bellalou and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

For such a gorgeous boy, he has a really gnarly tooth-!! Looking good and back to mooshies.