For fun! Critique "Mercedes," an APHA Mare

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by CatsScienceCoffee, Aug 13, 2018.

1. CatsScienceCoffee

CatsScienceCoffee Full Member

Hey all! This is the APHA mare I decided to purchase a few months ago. She's been an absolute doll and everything I wanted in a horse at this point in my riding journey. I took a couple photos the other day mostly for myself (and to keep track of her process as she loses weight/gains muscle). I thought it might be fun to see what ya'll can find in her conformation since I don't have much of an eye for that yet.

I'm aware that she's chubby (we're working on it!) But otherwise what else can you tell me? She's Impressive bred and came from Nebraska originally. Also I'm sorry I don't have any front/back photos but our tackup area makes that a little difficult. I can certainly try tomorrow, though. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I was just getting ready for bed, so no critiques tonight, but I'll pass on a hint here on photos. When you post a pic, wait a second and choose the option beneath thumbnail that says load full picture (or something like that). It'll post them in full and you can scan them rather than have to click on the thumbnail to enlarge them. I think you can only do a few at a time though, maybe four, before doing the rest in another sequential post. Either that or I just don't post photos very often, but it's helpful in a critique to not have to click back and forth.

We also have a stickie post at the top of the board that's great on advice on how to do the best ones for a critique.

Beautiful mare-!! ;)

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Congrats on your mare.
    Not sure how she looked when you got her but I think she is on a good way with the weight.
    I like her head with those slightly long ears, it isn´t overly pretty but it has character.
    With her breeding - did you have her tested?

I leave the critique for the pros but wanted to ask: when was her last farrier appointment? Is she at the end of the cycle? Because her hooves look pretty tall/long.

GotaDunQH, mygirl1197 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

How old is she? And what is her HYPP status?

I always look at a horse in 3 parts.....front end, mid section, and hind end....then put it all together to find balance. What I really like about her......is her neck and how it ties into both her chest and her withers. I love her front end, but would like to see a little more bone in her cannons. Her mid-section is what I call rectangular.....top and bottom are almost the same making her look long backed, and her topline has started to sag a little. Her hind end....she's downhill, and high hocked. While she has a nice depth in her hocks, they sit up high (looking in comparison to where her knees are) and makes it harder for a horse to get their hocks underneath them in performance. But....she does show some balance as those 3 parts go together. I don't find her head very feminine and attractive....larger ears, a bit of a roman nose and a smaller eye. I also agree about her feet. especially in the left facing pic in the wash stall.....that's a lot of foot. Now I personally don't mind a bit of heel (I prefer it), as long as it's not a taller under slung heel, and it looks like to shoe is not adding support to the heel.

Have fun with her!!

ginster likes this.
  5. CatsScienceCoffee

Oh thank you so much for this tip! I really appreciate it. Anything to make things easier. I took a few more photos today and uploaded them in the aforementioned way (I hope!). They should be a simpler to look at now.

20180815_184026.jpg 20180815_183620(0).jpg 20180815_183307.jpg 20180815_183202.jpg 20180815_183616.jpg

6. CatsScienceCoffee

Thanks! She's coming along. They stressed to me when I bought her that she's a super easy keeper and a founder risk, among other things, so I'm glad to hear she's not too bad now. I'd like to get her in really good shape, though!

I love her head too! It's definitely not "traditionally" attractive but her expressions has really grown on me. And yes, she's been tested for HYPP and the other Quarter horse danger genes (PSSM and a few others) and is negative for everything. So I'm very relieved not to have to worry about that.

About her feet: these pictures are actually about halfway through her farrier cycle. She gets them done every six weeks. I do know that when we brought her in the resident farrier was pretty unhappy with the quality of her feet. She had been on a grass only diet for years (that we know of) so I was suspicious that she might have a vitamin deficiency. She's on Horseshoer's Secret and Exceed 6-Way to help with feet and joints. I wonder if that might be making her hooves grow faster than usual? I can mention it to one of my trainers/barn mates who might know better than me.

GotaDunQH and ginster like this.
  7. CatsScienceCoffee

She is fourteen years old and HYPP n/n.

Good to know about her back and topline. I'm hoping that I can improve it some with work but I know you can only do so much about what nature gives you. Same with the downhill-ness. I'm hoping to do some light jumping and dressage-y stuff with her and my trainer, so I'll keep that and the hock height in mind while we're doing that. She came up a little stiff in her hocks during the PPE and the X-rays showed a tiny bit of arthritis so I'm sure her conformation has something to do with that. She probably will have injections in her future.

Haha I love her Roman nose and big ears!! Eye of the beholder, I guess.

I went back and really looked at the photos of her feet and I see what you mean about the shoe not supporting the heel. I'll look at it more IRL when I'm out on Friday and see if it's as dramatic in real life. I'm not an expert but I do have access to some. Thank you for the tip!

GotaDunQH likes this.
  8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Mhm.
    I don´t think there is any supplement that would make her hooves grow *that* fast.
    Maybe her hooves just grow fast, a six-week-cycle doesn´t work for every horse. I wouldn´t be surprised if the farrier didn´t take enough off when doing her hooves. Maybe post pics from just before and after the next appointment? (There is a sticky post in the Health section that tells you how to take good hoof pics)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.