Foal Movement in the Womb

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Outlaws_Gunn, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

I've got two mares that are 5 and 7 months prego. I've already asked about when I would see baby bellies, but when would I be able to see movement from the foals?

Thanks.

2. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

Most people say around 8 months. But some feel earlier and some not until the very end.

3. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

I couldn't tell for a long time on our first mare but the one we have in foal now (almost 7 months) she doesn't look pregnant but I have been able to feel the foal move. Especially around dinner time!

4. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

I keep thinking I see it move on our mare that's 7 months. But, I wasn't sure. Maybe I am.

5. the travlng rdr

the travlng rdr Senior Member

My girls lied to me last year and I think they are fibbing again this year. But they are giving me exact opposite answers. The ones who WERE pregnant couldn't feel a thing, and I could have sworn I felt something with the ones who weren't.

6. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

Is there a certain area where would I see it at this stage? Or is it just dependant on the way the foal's turned at the moment?

7. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

Sorry. Posted the same thing twice.

8. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

The best time to feel it is when the mare is eating her dinner (or breakfast, whichever lol). Feel under the belly, just in front of the udder while she's eating. If the mare is not "touchy" you can push GENTLY in that area and often the baby will kick (or at least wiggle) from feeling the squeeze a little bit. :) Be careful though... touchy mares WILL kick (cow kick in this case) if you're not careful.

9. spacely

spacely Senior Member+

You may not see any movement throughout the pregnancy. I have one mare who I never see or feel her foals move AND she never really looks prego (this year was an exception). Talk about driving me crazy!:eek2: Just don't be surprised if you don't see anything, but dinner time is usually best to feel the foal move. You can usually see it in the flank area.

10. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

Hmm...none of mine are touchy anywhere. So, I'll have to try this in the morning.