Foal Blanket Sizes

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Corina, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Corina

Corina Full Member

What size blankets do your foals wear and how quickly did they go up in size? I have a foal coming this year and would like to get a sheet for the night before shows but I am not sure what size and how many sizes up I should get to last him / her throught the show season. Foal will be a Trakehner / Welsh Sec C and expected to mature around 14.2.

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Well... I have a POA. At birth she could wear a foal saver in the Arabian size. Within two weeks it was too small.

I wouldn't waste money on a blanket for a baby, but I'm thrifty.

3. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

I would only get one size up at most, getting many sizes up could lead to disaster. I, like tlwidener, wouldn't waste money on a foal blanket for showing. but if you are set on getting a foal blanket, I would check out facebook pages that have used tack for sale, or look out for deals at tack stores. for sizing you should probably wait till you get him/her and then measure. you could always order a few different sizes to keep on hand, some tack stores online offer a small discount if you get two or more. good luck:D

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Corina

Corina Full Member

By getting sizes up I mean buying additional blankets. Definitely planning on getting used and only if I come across some good deals. Just trying to get an idea of what sizes I should keep my eye open for.

Larkspade likes this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

My POA show mare is 53.5" tall. She typically wears 66-68" blankets. A lot of blankets have too much "drop" though. Some of the ones labeled pony sized fit better, though they're tougher to find.

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have a lot of horses and have a blanket buying problem.... I love the weatherbeeta blankets and have a full range of sizes from Foal up to 80. I buy ranges of sizes when I see them go on sale. Even full siblings can wear a different size...and they all grow like weeds. Its probably best to wait and get a show sheet closer to the time you will need it, if you are planning on getting only one sheet for the season. If I was going to buy a range of sizes for 14h yearling I would be looking at sizes of 63-69.

Larkspade and Corina like this.