Fly spray recommendations??

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Ranger’s Roheryn, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Ranger’s Roheryn

Ranger’s Roheryn Full Member

My gelding has had a time with flies this year. By that I mean not a good time. ;-) Does anyone have a tried-and true brand they like or even a homemade recipe? I’d be everlastingly grateful. :D

2. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

This year the Bronco and Bronco Gold by Farnam is working the best for me. I tried the Endure which is $20 and it didn't work at all then I tried the Bronco because it was on sale for $6 (I didn't expect it to work because of the price). It worked well. I'd say it keeps the flies off the entire time you ride, but I don't think it last more than 5 hours. I have never found a fly spray that last for 24 hours though...

3. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Different body compositions and geographic location GREATLY affects answers.

Bronco may as well be water, in my experience - I've sprayed it directly on flies and they just keep doing their thing. My gray rarely has flies anywhere near here, but my chestnut can be standing right next to her and will be completely swarmed - Endure and Tri-Tec 14 seem to work best for this chestnut, but I do have to apply it daily. SWAT ointment goes on face/belly/legs/sheath if the no-see-ums are really bad. Pyranha is often recommended by equestrians, but it makes my gelding instantly break into hives.

4. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I agree, but here in the midwest this works the best on several horses. Mostly everyone in my area uses it. I have to find a different fly spray every year as the flies are always different. You will just have to experiment @Ranger’s Roheryn.

Ranger’s Roheryn likes this.
  5. Ranger’s Roheryn

Ranger’s Roheryn Full Member

Thank you both! I had no idea of what to use and will take all your suggestions:)

6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Gordon's Horse and Pony spray. Oil-based with sunscreen and works very well in the Midwest.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I find standing outside throwing dollar bills into the wind is as effective as any..

Wipe is next best..did try masks and sheets, yeah, that's throwing $5 bills into the wind..

There are bonuses to living where it snows in September, the little B's are mainly dead now.

doublelranch likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I am so jealous:(....until you post pics of all the snow that stays on the ground forever.....

Cynical25 likes this.
  9. paval

paval Senior Member

I started using this on the horses a few years ago. Have been happy with it here in Pennsylvania. Tractor Supply carries it. I buy it in the gallon size for about $43. Specs say it's effective 3 - 14 days depending on fly species. I spray the horses daily though since ticks are always bad around here and mosquitoes have been the worst ever this year.
    One of the local vets just reported latest findings, there were 41 confirmed cases of West Niles Virus in equines so far this year in PA.
    TSC also carries the water based Gordon's Aqueos Fly Spray in the gallon size... don't grab the wrong one, labels look similar.