1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Fly eggs in eye?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RacinMyDrifter, Jun 10, 2010.

1. RacinMyDrifter

RacinMyDrifter Senior Member

I put fly masks on during the day but it's a different story weather they stay on or not. My filly LOVES taking the older geldings fly mask off, and the other day, it was on the ground. I went to put it back on after cleaning it and noticed that my boy's eye was a little swelled. Looks like some flys were around it and it was dripping a little bit. I recall a vet treating my friend's horses eyes during the fly seasons because the flys would lay their eggs in there. It looked exactly as her mare had the year before. I took him to the wash rack and gently opened his eye and tried draining it. I managed to get some minor gunk out of there and some dirt but didn't notice any egg-looking things.

Is there something I can do to help him and get them out? Or a medicine that I can buy for him? Is this specifically a vet thing that has to be done? I know for sure he didn't hit it on the corrals, there's no cuts or injuries.

Thanks. I cant take pictures if needed.

2. Ittakes2totango

Ittakes2totango Senior Member+

If there is anything wrong with the eyes always immediatly call the vet. Anytime you have a problem with the eye it can go south quickly. The vet can further instruct you, but I have never heard of eggs in the eye.

3. firestarter

firestarter Registered

Fly Eggs

Yes there is a product that works for this. It's called Summer Sore Secret. Herbal, all natural.

4. aladatrot

aladatrot Senior Member+

Yep, seen this more than a few times. Little yellow eggs laid in the lower lid which gets inflamed, puffy, and watery. Dosing ivermectin dewormer helps too. Haven't seen that condition in a few (quite a few actually) years. I am a huge fan of vetricyn eye gel for those who don't like masks.

Cheers
    M

5. firestarter

firestarter Registered

I know it's gross- lol. My vet told me that Ivermectin no longer works for this....they are scraping the eggs out by hand yuk

6. Ittakes2totango

Ittakes2totango Senior Member+

This is a really old post. ;)