Flashy Stallions becoming the new norm

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by turnnburnlynx, Jan 18, 2019.

1. horse_mom

horse_mom Senior Member

Flashy colors regardless of proper conformation is really the trend here state side for a lot of people breeding Andalusians. Buckskin/perlino/smokey anything, as long as it has four legs, two ears and a long mane and tail it can look like a moose for all people care out here. There are two ranches in So Cal breeding really well built PREs that have the movement and disposition focused on by the three registries and especially ANCEE but besides kicking butt in the shows, they don't do as well selling wise because they're mostly greys. Went and saw a couple GORGEOUS dark bay stallions that stud fees were soooo low while the smaller, pig eyed cremellos and cremes were sky high. (n)
    (my almost fully registered stud is getting gelded this coming week because although he is a beautiful, flashy chestnut with a huge blaze and a cute personality, he is not what represents the breed best and I love him more as a riding horse than a money maker if he is going to be sub-par babies, regardless of his "multiple champion blood lines")

heartland, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I admit when I first went AQHA horse looking after 28 years of no quarter horse and only two years with an Arabian I first looked for a palomino to buy and show. Found there weren't any out there in my state, there still isn't, that were of just good quality, given my budget of $10k. So I took out color preference and found my first adult quarter horse show horse, a bay!

A friend at my barn had an actually pretty ugly palomino, I only like the golden ones and chocolates, but it also had the worst conformation. She sold it for $13k because he was a palomino to a 4Her. If he had been bay he would have only been worth $5 to $7.5K and only because he was broke enough to do pretty good in open shows and could trail ride.

Right now I am Facebook friends with two color breeders of quarter horses. One has a stallion that has MH. He's had a lot of foals die by the age of two. Whether it was due to MH, I don't know. But, seems like a lot considering he really doesn't have many AQHA foals, so far 24 since 2012, so a high percentage of them. He even has problems with his MH. He does have some APHA foals too, found one Facebook post that said their APHA foal by him as MH which they are also going to breed to another color stud, the other Facebook friend. Lots of comments about that on Facebook though the owner deleted all negative comments.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

MH?

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It's another genetic problem that hits a lot of AQHA, I think if they've the other also, it makes a double whammy or intensifies it. All I know for certain is it's inheritable, even if only one has it, so it's the height of irresponsible breeding to use any stock that have it.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh, MYH1? Is this the same thing?

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Unfortunately no. MYH1/IMM is rapid muscle atrophy. MH a horse that is overly stressed can just drop dead from.

IMM

mh

ginster likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation!

LoveTrail likes this.
  8. PamelaTX

PamelaTX Senior Member

No, actually MH is one of the rarest ones. HYPP & PSSM are the most prevalent (& they're dominant,as is MH ) within the breed & they kill the most.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yeah, MH does appear to only come from one line so far which is not of a stallion like Impressive that was so prolific as a sire. Have a Facebook friend that has one also, but don't if his lineage is the same or not.

10. PamelaTX

PamelaTX Senior Member

This is the only one I personally know of that has it. I'm sure there are others, I just know of this one.
    Imperial Satin Sun Quarter Horse