Flashy colours.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Rainbowaholic

Rainbowaholic Senior Member

I have three, two 'loud' and one bay. The bay actually has the most conformational flaws lol. I picked them primarily for their temperament-that's what's most important to me right now.

doublelranch, Arem and CheyAut like this.
  2. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Technically he's dun but dark like a sorrel. He's got a balanced amount of white on the legs which I find important lol. Nice wide blaze and a little lip spot.
    image.jpeg

endurgirl likes this.
  3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'm another that likes loud. I like good conformation and great minds too though. Pretty is as pretty does, right?
    There is nothing worse, IMO, than seeing a loud app being touted as the next best thing when he is long backed, over at the knee, and parrot mouthed. There is nothing better though than seeing a loud app that also has solid conformation and a great brain.

That being said, we have trained and ridden quite a few that had very little color but everything else was great. I would never turn away a good equine that was "plain".

I have a pasture full of loud and wouldn't have it any other way but the breeding began, all those years ago, with sound and sane. It shows in what is standing in my pasture today.

CheyAut likes this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I LOVE flashy horses, but my last handful have been sorrels, chestnuts and bays. A pretty color to me is just an added bonus to an already nice horse.
    It's true tho, pretty colored horses are always priced higher. Especially roans and duns/buckskins.

My two......pretty boring color wise lol
    20160921_192530_resized.jpg

CheyAut and GONE ROPING like this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I like a bay roan.

6. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of color, I'll stick with the "mud" color horses lol! They just look classier to me. If I had to go for flashy a solid buckskin is about as flashy as I like lol!

Duns are nice, but they're common up here so I wouldn't consider that flashy.

I'm not a huge fan of roans or grullas unless they have a really clear coat, hard to explain but I don't like the smutty look they sometimes get.

I will always go for the horse with the suitable temperament and conformation needed rather than the color that I prefer/like. :)

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The problem is, that many breeders who are in it for color....forsake conformation and just go for color. They SHOULD be doing both....color and conformation using two exceptional animals, but many times that is not the case.

One of the color breeders I personally know, that do it right...are very good friends of mine I showed IBHA (buckskin) with many years ago. They had 2 studs with great minds, color, conformation and performance record to back it up. They had 3-4 broodmares with the same claim to fame. They turned out a nice product with foals that went on to perform, earn points etc. They were also choosy about the outside mares that came in, and wouldn't breed to just anyone who pulled a mare out of the pastures. But people like my friend in the color biz are fare and few between.

kodemiester, ginster and CheyAut like this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have two sorrels. Both have the worst confo of my herd, but they are solid riding horses. Nothing strenuous even though I think one could handle a bull on the end of a rope. I have a dun, a bay, 2 grays and a tobi paint. In that order they are least to best on confo. Yup. My paint was pictured for advertisement for conformation photos, but...he has the worst mind of them all. I gave up years ago trying to keep him clean.

Rainbowaholic likes this.
  9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

To me, flashy colors are one of two things:
    1) Hard to keep clean
    2) Theft magnets

I like my plain old bays, but I am sucker for a blue roan. And one day, I do want a leopard Appaloosa... but only if it's put together properly.

10. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

I like flashy colors and solids. Not a fan of sorrels just because there are so many, but I've seen plenty that caught my eye. I'm like a lot of y'all: confirmation first, color second. I have a sun faded black tank of a horse and a flashy paint I'm bringing back from underweight. Love em both and I love having a choice. I wish the flashy one was built more like the black though! ava3.jpg

I love her crazy white splotches and large stockings. But I also really love his deep chocolate color, and how we can go stealth mode.

Rachael777 likes this.