Flashy colours.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, Sep 24, 2016.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I like flashy color a lot, but I'd never buy an inferior horse just because it had a nice paint job.

I like pintos, but am not wild about them. So there's a funny kind of irony that I wound up with three tobianos. Anyone who looks at my herd would think I'm color crazed, but nope... totally random. I was also interested in a solid black and a flaxen chestnut when looking at my guys but wound up taking home the pintos because they had better conformation. :rolleyes:

It's of course totally legit to not like color but I do roll my eyes a little when I see people going so anti-color that they insult people who enjoy chrome or dilutes or whatever. Who cares? If someone wants to hold out for a flashy horse, nobody should complain as long as they're still buying a suitable animal. It's perfectly possible to find a well-conformed, good minded horse that isn't mud colored. You just might have to wait longer.

kodemiester, equinitis, Arem and 2 others like this.
  2. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

VERY true! I wanted a grullo mini stallion a lot. But, I never saw one I liked the confo of, so I figured it was just a dream. One day the right guy came up in an online mini auction (these are not bad auctions, these are good ones with some nice horses). He has multiple top tens at Worlds, AMHA Western Regionals Top Five, firsts in things such as Versatility, does it all: Halter, jumping, driving, obstacle, etc. So, I bought him. After years of passing on grullo boys that didn't have much going for them besides their color. It took years, but I DID manage to find the right grullo boy ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nickers2002

Nickers2002 Senior Member

I was looking for a dark bay gelding. Ended up with a pregnant sorrel minimal overo mare that gave me him as my gelding lol. And now I have a fully white medicine hat pony mare too, but she was a rescue so wasn't even thinking about color.

After having these 2 loud colored horses, I can't wait to have a solid color one day lol.

Attached Files:

foxtrot likes this.
  4. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

I won't lie, I do love flashy colours. I like pintos, appaloosas, buckskins, palominos, just about every colour that's hard to clean. Long stockings and big blazes are cool too. I do have a soft spot for sorrels though. Don't know why.
    But a horse should never, ever be judged solely on his colour. A flashy coat should be a bonus for a conformationally correct, properly trained, sound-minded horse. I would rather have a well-mannered bay than a temperamental appaloosa. The most important thing should be the temperament, the conformation and the training. If all those boxes have been checked, then a pretty coat or flashy markings are a plus. My favourite motto when it comes to horse colours is "If he's a good horse, he's a good colour", or variations like "there's no such thing as a bad colour on a good horse" or vice versa.
    My horse is a blue roan. Some people consider a roan to be a fancy colour, others don't. It's not an especially rare colour, and he hasn't got the beautiful silver mane and tail like some of the bay roans do. He hasn't got any white markings. He does get compliments for being pretty, but he gets more for being an exceptionally calm, level-headed horse for his age.

CheyAut likes this.
  5. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

If a horse is well put together with flashy colour that's one thing. I don't have a problem with people buying (or even breeding) coloured horses as long as the are put together well. For a good breeder I would expect that any fancy coloured breeding stock be put up to the same standards as non fancy coloured horses. And my standards for breeding anything are pretty darn high.

If it's a nice horse and it has colour it's still a nice horse. Not my personal taste but to each their own. I will admit that if looking for potential stock if you put two evenly matched horses (pedigree, conformation, mind etc..) side by side, one a sorrel and the other a paint I'd personally choose the sorrel. In a way that does make me a colour person too I guess lol.

I don't judge others for wanting fancy colours on nice horses... it's when the only thing the horse has going for it is the colour that I shake my head.

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I do this too! I have a soft spot for loud leopard appaloosas. If I see a very loudly colored appaloosa I will stop and have an "oooooh pretty!" moment... and then sometimes I do a double take when I realize it's actually a ghastly, deformed horse covered in pretty spots. :p There is no shame in being attracted to a color you really like, as long as you do evaluate the rest of the animal. I love your grullo stallion by the way!

When I was buying my Welsh ponies, I had a choice between a bunch of palominos and buckskins and even a sabino and chose a dark blue roan and a bay lol. Pintos are nice but after having three, if I ever get a fourth mini, I really want a solid!

CheyAut likes this.
  7. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I don't really have a favorite color, but I've found that I dislike colors linked to disease/health conditions. Grey, Appy, and Silver/Silver Dapple don't really appeal to me because all I can think about when I look at them is future health issues I may have to treat.

HayleyS likes this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE red roans, I wish I had a Metallic Cat baby. That said, it has to be the right color. There are ugly roans too, :p.

I think Chloe is flashy, sorrel with 4 whites. And every expressive in the show pen!

kodemiester, Arem and foxtrot like this.
  9. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I will stare at a horse and call it gorgeous or pretty or whatever based on colour. I'm pretty useless at conformation to be honest. But if I am ever in the market again I'll be sharing photos here for advice because of my lack of conformation knowledge, and I certainly wouldn't choose a horse based on colour. That's just a nice bonus.

Around here greys seem to be the in thing. They are everywhere! And rugged something ridiculous to be kept clean. Grey is probably my least favourite colour. I do actually quite like perlinos and cremellos, but I can't imagine they would be fun to keep clean!

Mind you, I have started getting into more of a grooming routine with all my horses and I am really enjoying it, so maybe keeping a light coloured horse clean wouldn't be so bad. The lightest I currently have is a chestnut - the rest are bays and a black buckskin, so they are all pretty easy to keep clean. Except King, who has an amazing talent of getting mud stuck inside his ears. :rolleyez:

CheyAut likes this.
  10. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

That's my kinda flashy.... I one dates a guy just because he had a sorrel with 4 whites... didn't last... and I don't miss him... but I do miss the horse!

I adore a sorrel with a unique blaze and white on the legs. I guess that's my flash