1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Flashy colours.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I don't like most flashy colors either.
    I do like palominos, but conformation will always be FAR more important than color for me.

When I was 14 or 15 there was a filly born at the barn I was boarding at. She was a very well bred filly and extremely well put together. I remember when the BM came over to the stall to look at her. All he said was, "too bad she's red." I couldn't believe my ears. I thought she was lovely.
    I tend to prefer darn browns and bays. They're just very clean, classy, and professional looking to me. But honestly, color means next to nothing if I'm [window] shopping.

2. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

I love flashy color...but I like useable horses more. I got lucky with Annie...she's well put together and pretty...she's also the only horse I own that I actually spent money on. I own a lanky, long backed, straight legged gelding, whom I wouldn't own If he weren't a "rescue" of sorts. But he's a very loud overo, and gorgeous If you ignore the fact that he's a bus on toothpicks.
    My kill pen pony was in the kill pen for a reason, cow hocked, super short back, total spooky mess...but he was also a rescue.

If I'm buying a horse, it's for it's build and training. If I'm rescuing, I look for nothing more than trainability, and that their flaws aren't bad enough to need putting down over.

sparkzwb likes this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

To tell the truth, I am sometimes blinded by big white faces, just love them, especially with one blue eye. My kids are always sending me pictures of awful conformation horses, but they do have that beautiful face! It's a standing joke around here. That is why, when we were buying a horse, a trainer with our best interests in mind always came with.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek:
    But reds are the BEST!!!! :mad:
    Although, not that I have a bay. . . I guess they are okay too. . .

5. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

I love flashy colors, but realize they're not always practical to keep clean. Thankfully, I love the grooming process, so I deal with it for Luna. My next horse will not be a gray or majority white pinto, due to the red clay we have around here. Not a huge fan of chestnuts, but I know a good horse is never a bad color. :)

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Ya white faces are a huge no. Had a bay w a white face and it was about the death of me.

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I am a no chrome also person and actually steer a mile away. I don't understand the attraction myself. Why they choose over conformation - idgits basically. Idk-!!

manesntails likes this.
  8. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

I like chromed up sorrels. Love solid bays. Buckskins but only certain shades. Don't like greys, appys, or palominos. Black if it's true black and not the fading kind.

My dream horse would be a bay frame. But I also love minimal tobianos with real high socks. Switch to quarter horses because there's nothing here for paint horses.

9. windblown

windblown Senior Member

As much chrome as I want in a horse is on the one in my avatar. I'm not a fan of wildly marked horses or appaloosa patterns. I'm fine with colored (palomino, buckskin, etc.) as long as they're good beyond the color.

kodemiester likes this.
  10. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Because some people don't care about the rest, they just want the pretty color.

I am not ashamed to admit I love certain colors (palomino is not one of those, although I do own two). A flashy colored horse, even with bad confo, does grab my attention. That does NOT mean I will say it's beautiful or want it, just that it's color is pretty. I won't buy it for it's color. That said, there ARE good horses with flashy color... I'm happy to own those ones haha! But color isn't what I buy for... it's just icing on the cake if I get nice color. If I don't get nice color, oh well, still a great horse!

My best mini at CDE (what I compete in) is solid chestnut, not a speck of white on him... all this despite my love of nice colors to look at. Doesn't bother me one bit that he's "just red." (or that he's not registered, either... he's a gelding, and good at what he does, which doesn't require registration... of course, I'd love it if he WERE able to be registered with AMHA or AMHR just so I could also compete in those shows with him... but doesn't matter one bit for CDE!). (and ps, I love chestnuts, but MUCH prefer them with chrome lol! And I prefer them really red. He's just a boring orange color... but nothing wrong with that!).

My two best riding horses are flashier. One is a brown pinto, the other is a silver black. But their color had NOTHING to do with me getting them, I just lucked out that they're pretty on the eyes, too ;) I bought them for how great they are, color aside. If they were also "just red" (or in my case, black or palomino, as those are two colors I'm "meh" about), I'd still have them and say they're my best :)

It's a sad fact that sometimes, color sells... and the most wonderful horse will be overlooked because it "lacks color." Sometimes the owners will luck out and the horse will work out for them (hopefully not being bred, but sadly that happens a lot). Other times, they will learn their lesson and start to look at more than color. Sometimes they fall in the middle... the horse will be sold on, and they'll make the same mistake by buying another horse only on color. I know someone right now in that category.

foxtrot likes this.