Flashy colours.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, Sep 24, 2016.

1. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I don't like flashy horses. I never have. The colours that everyone else like do nothing for me. I don't like pinto patterns, appaloosa spots, palomino, buckskin, or gray.

I have a gorgeous palomino. (She's a dark palomino but it's her mind and body that attract me... not the wrapping paper) I'd rather her be sorrel. My other two are sorrel and bay.

Facebook is full of sale ads for coloured horses. And 80% of them are not put together well at all... yet people are asking outrageous prices. They get them too... and it makes me shake my head.

I'll buy a good horse no matter the colour. ( Evidenced by me owning a palomino ) but I just don't understand how people overlook serious conformation problems and just see the colour.

I know this will never change. But it's my rant for the day.

heartland and tlwidener like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Because they don't KNOW good conformation, they have nothing else to judge a horse by than the color.

3. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I don't expect every horse buyer to be a conformation expert but some of theses horses are downright train wrecks. How do you not see that?

manesntails likes this.
  4. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

They don't see the conformation wreck because too many are color blind. Anybody remember what most appaloosas once looked like? The breeders concentrated on color and spots with no concern for how the individual parts and pieces fit.

Circle C likes this.
  5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Same with dogs. Backyard Great Dane breeders try to produce cool colors, and then charge a boatload for them because they are "pretty." But their conformation does not even look the way that a Great Dane should. One of my biggest pet peeves.
    I don't look at the horse's color when I'm shopping. That's how I ended up with Rain. She's a plain chestnut with one small spot of white on her face. Boring to me, but I still love her.

Circle C likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

As a lover of colour and chrome, I usually consol myself with Big Chex to Cash (and other Nu Chex to Cash horses), Hollywood Dun it and related horses, Gunner and related horses.....

And remind myself that there are quality colourfull horses out there.

kodemiester, heartland and JStorry like this.
  7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

my husband calls my trail horse the Mr Potatoe Head horse because he looks like he was built out of the spare parts bin. He has a great brain and is good at his job. People always describe him as pretty or gorgeous - he is a loud piebald and that is what people see first I guess.

8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

My husband wanted a flashy paint so I bought him a grey :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I've never cared for flashy color. Always loved bays, blacks and chestnuts in that order. I see flashy color and just think what a pain it would be to keep clean.

arabbarrelracer and JStorry like this.
  10. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I am the opposite. I love blacks, palomino, buckskin etc. I am however not a fan of a lot of white. cleaning that would drive me up the wall.
    However I have owned 3 bays. I hate bay, it's just blah to me. However I have made the choice to choose mind over color so I keep getting bay horses even when I try not too (internal screaming)