Flash 2015 colt

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mkoktavy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I didn't even notice vids posted, just commented on the still photo. Got to see what's up.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good advice @Garfield70. I can't really input differently. My eyes are so bad, I kept wishing I could enlarge or zoom in. Vision used to be 400 in the left eye is now non exhistant and my right eye's had surgery but not great. I usually try to see "the big picture" rather than details. I only noticed him being very forward and your stirrups a bit long so what Garfield said makes sense. He'll get there.

3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Was by myself again today but I did shorten my stirrups, tried 2 holes at first but felt way too short so 1 it was and focused on keeping my lower leg back. It did help keep me from tipping forward, I think a big part of it that helped was just being aware of it as well!
    I also worked on regulating the trot a little more and played around with some walk/trot tests... my goal at the beginning of the year was to make it out to at least 1 dressage show this year... and the last one is on the 19th. I started putting together my entries, and I think I'm going to do 3 walk trot tests and the materiale class. I know were not ready at all, but all I hope to take away from this is experience, and have the judges remarks to work on over the winter :) and of course get Flash's feet wet in the show ring!
    That will give me a starting goal for next summer too! Wish us luck Haha

4. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

@Rhythm 'n Blues did you get a chance to get back to civilization yet!? Lol I'd love a few pointers before diving into our first little show :)
    Since these vids I have been more aware of my lower leg coming forward (and shortened my stirrup a hole) as well as have been working on regulating our speed a bit better!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Good! Keep us updated how it goes!

mkoktavy likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Please don't do that many classes in a day. The horse is a baby.

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Thanks for reminding me! Took me some seriously dinking around to get the videos to play on a screen larger than my phone, but I got it!!!

Ok, so a few things, The back of the saddle is moving more than it should, so that isn’t helping you at all. It’s just bouncing in the back when you post. That is making your life more difficult than it should be for sure. The other thing is the way you’re seated in that saddle, your seat bones are sitting on the upsweep towards the cantle. This is causing more of an arch in your lower back and it’s tipping you more forward. This causes the hip flexors to close and then you have a more insecure lower leg. So while this all sounds so terrible, I’m thinking/hoping you’re life will be made so much easier once the saddle settles & it’s topped up appropriately. I know it’s super new, but I just wish it didn’t bounce in the back.

Outside of that, I do agree he needs to slow down. He needs you to really be conscious of keeping him lower and slower. These style horses are better ridden ever so slightly under tempo to help balance them and teach them to work over the back & into the bridle. Note that “under tempo” does not mean not tracking up, or taking little steps or pulling on his face at all. I’d also like to see you doing down transitions without using so much hand; it causes him to invert and dump on the forehand. He is such a lovely willing egg with a freaking fantastic canter given his age & breeding! He will be such a fun horse to develop for sure. I can’t wait to see him develop!

ginster and mkoktavy like this.
  8. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

@slc we are only doing walk trot, they are very short classes and extremely simple, it's literally going around the arena once each way with a 20 meter circle and done. Our warmups are mostly walking as he does better just looking at his surroundings and he settles after 15 mins of walking exercises. Yes I'll do some trotting to warm him up as well but I dont think one show will be too much for him.

@Rhythm 'n Blues thank you so much, I'll have you out soon to get us all sorted out, had the saddle over a month now I think and have been riding a few times a week so hopefully not too much longer so get everything fitted appropriately!! I'll definitely keep focusing on slowing him down and getting more of an even tempo out of him!

9. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I am so unbelievably proud of this boy!
    The start of the show, I thought we were going to die lol. Our first class was Materiale, so first time he was able to see the show ring and judges booth... he was a complete idiot... so not the way to start but at least it was Materiale and the judge was awesome. He was spooking at both ends, jumping around and showing off his fancy footwork! I got a couple "good riding!" comments from that ride... He was judged on movement and conformation and he got a score of 70.
    We had a long break after that class so he was untacked and was a great sport about standing in the trailer eating hay while I de-stressed a bit!
    Our last 3 tests were just walk trot and were pretty well right after each other with maybe 2 or 3 riders in between us so it was nice that the rest went by quickly. Our first test was much better that the Materiale class, minimal spooking but we did get a few 5's because of a spook! Nontheless we ended up with a 65. Second class went better with even less spooking and earned a 69.5 and got 8's for our free walk and last turn down centerline. Last test he was totally settled, with minimal tense moments and scored 3 8's (free walk, medium walk and trot transition) we ended up with a score of 71.59!
    I knew we were the only AA team in WT so I knew we were getting red ribbons for those tests (unless we totally bombed and our scores weren't high enough!) but I didn't expect that in the whole division we had the highest marks and ended up high point of the show! That was a complete surprise to me and I was so excited! We really only came just to get our feet wet in the show ring and I had hoped for improvements in each ride, which he totally rocked my expectations.
    I had an awesome support team at the show, so I do have photos - I will post once I receive them and a friend took some videos but I'm hoping she can send them to me in another way as they come up super blurry on my computer screen...

I will put a quick disclaimer that I had been stressing over this show for days before and was having mini meltdowns while at the show from being nervous (It has been YEARS since I showed last!) so my equitation had gone out the window, everything I was practicing in lessons kind of went out the window until my friend told me to get a grip and shorten my reins lol but I do think I was quite tense in my tests so I will just ask for no critiques on these photo/videos... save those for when I'm schooling and not totally freaking out! That being said, Flash was a saint to stand chilled out while I was debating running to the bathroom 15 times during the day lol I will post photos as I get them and hopefully a video!
    20180819_180816.jpg

10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Congrats!!!

mkoktavy likes this.