Flash 2015 colt

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mkoktavy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Wow he looks great! You guys will do well in Dressage, if that's your goal with him!

mkoktavy likes this.
  3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Farrier cancelled twice on me so he was finally out tonight... Here are some photos of Flash's feet/new shoes! I was hoping I could leave his feet a little longer in between trims now that he has shoes but farrier wants to see him in on another 4-5 weeks. His feet grow FAST!
    20180725_173441.jpg 20180725_173508.jpg 20180725_173520.jpg 20180725_173552.jpg 20180725_173609.jpg

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Flash is such a good boy, if he were mine, I might consider a natural balance type shoe on the front and see if it helps take the pressure off the Toe to allow the toe crack to grow out.

5. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I will inquire about it! I wasn't there when my farrier was out but I was a little bit bummed that he didn't clean out the cracks before he put the shoes on and I thought he might either cut them out or at least put toe clips on... I dont know his reasoning for not - he may very well have a good one ... I am still waiting for him to message me back about our next appt.

6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I was so disappointed to not see pictures of this beautiful beast! I don't think you have anything to worry about with the cracks not being cleaned out. His hooves look healthy, just not properly balanced.

If you look at his hooves from the front, you will see the flare I mentioned earlier. The walls of his hoofs should, ideally, be straight. All four of his hooves have flare. This contributes to weakness in the hoof wall, and while it may not directly cause cracks, will contribute to them. I wish I could draw on them, but that is beyond my computer skills! You can see the little dip on the profile of his fronts too. There should not be a dip! If your end goal is to keep him barefoot, flares will have to be addressed.

Ask your farrier about it the next time he is out. Don't be confrontational, just ask him if it is normal. I am not a farrier and am no expert on hooves but I have done a ton of research. My husband takes care of our herd's hooves and I need to be sure he is doing it right! You should hear our conversations about hoof care! I ask a lot of questions, even after 15 years of marriage, I still ask why he does this or why he doesn't do that. I'm never satisfied with, "that's just how I have always done it". I want to know why!

7. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I will definitely ask him about it! Thank you! I know he had mentioned about the flares a while back but I cant remember what he said, I just figured he was taking care of it! I will definitely speak more with him about it at our next appt.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think the pics are not the best to give a proper critique on.
    To me it looks like the heels are still too tall, especially in the hinds. Fronts still look flared.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Not that I could give an in depth critique.
    If you want one you could tag BluemoonOKy, Arem, Nae Nae...and there was one member who bought a horse with a major crack in one front and got that hoof whole and healthy again in an amazingly short time with propwr trimming..
    Let me see if I can find the thread.

mkoktavy likes this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Boomer's Feet
    This was the thread I meant.
    Flash's feet of course do not look like that. But this shows what good frequent trims can achieve.

mkoktavy likes this.