Flash 2015 colt

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mkoktavy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Possibly, we will have to see how the weather holds up.

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Such a good boy.

3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Thank you :) I just love how he’s come along, I think he has just as much fun as I do!

So far this summer I plan to trailer him around and do lots of trail riding, which is right up his alley - he’s totally in his element outdoors. I took some time off work mid June to go on a horsey camping trip with some friends which I am SUPER excited for! Friends are staying the whole week, I took the whole week off but I think it may be a bit much for him so I plan to only stay maybe 3 or 4 days - play it by ear and do what he wants to do :)

Also coming up, I have ridden in a Chris Irwin clinic every year so far and I’m hoping he comes to town again this year so I can finally bring Flash.

Big plans for the summer but I think it’s mostly fun stuff that he will enjoy, and will be good for his mind.

I may go to a schooling dressage show, they have young horse (materiale) classes so we will see how that goes. Gahh now I’m excited for summer again and it feels like it’s sooooo far away!

4. Tayler

Tayler Senior Member

Oh my goodness! I've never heard of Dutch Harness Horses before this, but I just thoroughly stalked this thread and I am in love... He is SO handsome! I can't wait to see more updates. :love:

mkoktavy likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ DHH were (some still are) KWPN (Dutch Warmblood). They were all under the same KWPN registry and name until there was a divide were some were breeding for fancy sunday carriage horses & others were breeding for the sport horse market.

There are many who still have KWPN papers, just from the DHH section of the registry. Others are American Dutch Harness Horses registered or ADHH. But they are warmbloods, just bred for a different style than your typical sport horse. They can be absolutely lovely!

Alsosusieq2, mkoktavy and Tayler like this.
  6. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I didn't know that! I have seen ads for sale where some are registered kwpn and some were adhha, I didn' know the real difference. Flash is registered kwpn but I thought he was still bred for harness... well maybe not, harness bred tend to have very long backs, although his is longer than any other riding horse, I think it' shorter than any fine harness horses I've seen... Interesting!

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

There still are breeders of DHH horses who breed only for carriage & register KWPN. I’m sure you could get ADHH papers for Flash pretty easily since he has KWPN papers. I’m also certain he was bred for carriage work. While many tend to be longer through the backs & flatter through the croup & hind legs, not all are. I’ve seen many who are not. :)

8. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

So thanks to RnB I found out that my saddle does not in fact fit Flash. Go figure! Thank goodness for friends who have tack rooms that resemble tack stores! Last night my girlfriend brought over about 7 saddles to try out! Finally found one that I'm pretty confident fits well enough as it was the only one that did not slide forward when lunging.
    So her and I will be trading dressage saddles which works out great, I really didn't want to have to buy a new saddle and then have him grow out of it again in a few months! The other saddle that fit him was her western saddle which she brought out as a joke because I dislike western!
    While we were farting around with saddle fit, I hopped on with the one that I will be keeping and decided to take it for a test drive.... I trotted Flash for the first time!! My friend had to pretend she was lunging us as he would not go otherwise lol but it was amazing! He has such a large stride, he throws you right out of the saddle and I felt like I was hovering for a few minutes before coming down again in the post lol surprisingly he felt fairly balanced and was such a Steady Eddy, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face all night :love:
    received_10156049091581411.jpeg received_10156050089726411.jpeg received_10160022342790072.jpeg received_10160022342635072.jpeg received_10156050089871411.jpeg
    Not sure why this link is so tiny but if you click on my name its a link to a facebook video I posted with our first trot :)
    Monica K

9. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

So for anyone (@ginster I think was one!) that commented on how big Flash looked and I shrugged it off... HOLY :poop: is he getting big! I see him so much I didn't notice him growing...
    Well yesterday a friend came out and took some photos of Flash and I and it wasn't until after I saw them I thought "who is this horse!?" How did he all of a sudden get so big? I mean he only sticks at 16 hh now, and he has a LOT of filling out left to do, but where did my little weanling go!?
    I am 5'6...
    IMG_4884.jpg IMG_4885.jpg IMG_4892.jpg photos were taken by DH Media :)

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And he won't be done growing until 5 years old, adding some mass when going into training.

He was quite scrawny looking as a weanling.

Alsosusieq2 and mkoktavy like this.