Flash 2015 colt

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mkoktavy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I wanted to make a thread about my horse Flash, as he grows and eventually something to follow once I start breaking him. He is a Dutch Harness Horse and my main focus for him will be dressage. I tend to get pic heavy in the spring/summer so most of my updating will be then I'm sure!
    Here are some pics starting when I first got him at 6 months old - he is now over a year and half.
    10462902_528224713995113_1505190768111713381_n.jpg IMG_2088.JPG DSCN9109.JPG IMG_7615.jpg DSCN9146.jpg IMG_8262.JPG P7230001.jpg P7230014.jpg IMG_8683.JPG 20161223_202311.jpg

He has gone through some pretty wonky growth spurts lol
    So far I have handled him a lot this past summer. Mostly grooming, a little bit in hand (walk, trot, whoa beside me), introductions to tarp, and he loves swimming! He's great with dogs, I bring my shepherd out to the farm with me and play with his "chuck it" while Flash grazes so he got pretty used to me throwing balls over his head, back etc and crazy dogs running around him :) I've walked him all around the property and in the farmers field next door, he definitely prefers being outdoors, nothing bothers him!

Bebe, Saph, AmyK and 8 others like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

How in the world did you get him to love swimming? Brainwashing? Cult psychology? I got one that would die rather than get a foot wet.

Manca and mkoktavy like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

My friend has a grey that would rather be hosed down than EAT. Leave her food for running water. It's just how some are. But beware, you get them too used to going in the water and they just MIGHT take you swimming, in your saddle~!! We had a Mustang it was all you could do to keep him from taking you in the lake and swimming all the way, half a mile, across it~!!

He's cute as a button.

Alsosusieq2, Bebe and mkoktavy like this.
  4. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Lol I'm not quite sure exactly! We have an awesome little pond that our BO built a kind of little beach so it's easy to get in and out. I guess with super hot summers, he grew to quite enjoy it! I bought a cheap pair of water shoes and I would take a dip with him and the dog of course loved it as well (the two of them are quite close now). I actually have a video of him by hinself - once you get far enough in the bottom just drops and he actually does swim, turn around and swim back. We are very lucky to have a cool little set up for the summer!

TheSnowLeopard likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Let me see. What do I have that is comparable? I have a small shower in the house. I don't think that'd work.

Oh yeah, the ugly phases. Well, I've been there, and I feel your pain.

But it does occur to me that you have a solution right at hand.

Just put him in the pond up to his eyeballs when any critical friends stop by!

mkoktavy likes this.
  6. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Perfect! now I just have to figure out how to bring a body of water to the shows with me...

Larkspade likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Maybe you could compete in water polo...

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Seriously, he'll be over the uglies by the time he's 3 and ready to be ridden.

9. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

10. slc

slc Senior Member