First Show Jumping Rally

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by highclassequestriantrash, Jun 12, 2018.

1. highclassequestriantrash

highclassequestriantrash Registered

This weekend, I am going to my first Pony Club rally. I'm riding a grren horse in the 18" division. Any words of wisdom?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Relax.

Have fun.

Two most important things I can think of besides thanking your pony for the day. Enjoy yourself!!

Baboo, Trubandloki and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

I wasn't joking when I posted that above. Don't get wired and worried about the greenie status. Try to stay relaxed and calm throughout. If you stay relaxed, no matter what it should be good. It's mostly to get them exposed to the show environment than hunting ribbons.

Get there early so he's time to absorb and settle as well as you.

You didn't expand on anything really, how green is your horse?

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Smile, breathe, don’t throw up, don’t fall off.

Go to have fun, not to win, make it an enjoyable day for the greenie.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

So, how'd it go?

Larkspade likes this.
  6. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

My first ever pony club rally was show jumping too.

I assume you have had all the various rules and steps explained to you already. Turn out inspection, jog, etc. If not ask someone to explain the step-by-step of the day. If you have never done a pony club rally before it can be confusing.

Make sure all your stuff is properly labelled and you have all your required equipment. Do not want to get those points for not having the right buckets or brushes.

Know your time schedule and make sure you are on time for everything. Even if they are running behind for turn out inspections, you be on time.

You are a team. Work as a team.

Remember the horse management judges are there to not just judge you. If you have a question do not be afraid to ask them. They want you to learn and do well.

And the most important part - Have a blast.

Edit to add - I should have looked at the date on the original post first.
    Darn it, I am too late.

OP, I hope you had a great rally. Let us know how it went.

Larkspade likes this.
  7. highclassequestriantrash

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for all your advice, but my pony was awful. There was a lot of slamming on the breaks and refusing to move. Also we had our fair share of getting stuck in reverse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

Oh yuck! I hate it when my pony makes what was supposed to be a fun day into a stressful day.
    I suppose it gives you some new knowledge on what you and your pony can work on for next time.

The naughty pony aside, how did the rest of the day go? How did you do in your formal/turn out inspection? Was your pony good for the jog? My pony likes to make the jog a memorable experience for me. She goes from happily jogging next to me to a leaping and flying critter.

9. highclassequestriantrash

Jogs were perfect. No points off for anything. I got an exceeds standards for turnout because I'm a D2 and I wore a stock tie and my pony's tail was dandruff free. So HM was good. We won third.

ginster, Larkspade and Trubandloki like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

So? Now you know what to work on. Sounds like you lacked impulsion and need to get him more on the aids and more forward. The next event will go better.