Finally own a trailer, but

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Nov 25, 2018.

1. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

It does need some work.
    It's a 1993 Trails West 2 H slant steel trailer.It does need a new floor,leaking spots on roof and maybe new paint.
    I can't afford a new trailer but have no problem putting some money into fixing it up.Hubby will help me.
    Anyone has any before and after stories/pictures of their used trailers?
    Any recommendations are welcome.

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

We did a lot of work on a trailer but it burned in the fire just when we put the first coat of paint on. Floors and leaks are easy. Most important thing is to make sure the frame is intact.

manesntails and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  3. RG NIGHT HEIR

Yes,I will have it inspected. Good thing is we live in Southern California, not much rain and moisture.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I'll bombard you with photos of mine. I got it for $800 (which was a steal). It's a 91 Kingston Briarwood with steel frame and aluminum skin.

I had to replace the plywood and aluminum on the ramp (needing a barrier between the two metals) plus replace the leaf spring to assist lifting/lowering the ramp, and replace the tail lights. I got mostly all my trailer specific materials from etrailer.comand absolutely love them!
    IMAG1346.jpg
    IMAG1348.jpg
    IMAG1357.jpg IMAG1386.jpg
    IMAG1504.jpg
    I had a local guy weld a few areas for me, and get was able to use a bunch of scrap steel get had laying around his shop, so he did not charge me nearly what he could have. I painted the entire floor framing with POR-15, which took lots of prep but has been fantastic. I replaced the flooring with treated wood and installed with carriage bolts.

I repainted the side steps and had to do a little Bondo on them but they've held up!
    IMAG1350.jpg
    Little things like replacing the front screen:
    IMAG1466.jpg
    I replaced the sheet metal in the nose with plywood after my guy welded the framing up there (all non load bearing and separate from the boards/framing the horses are on). This is a current photo:
    IMG_20181125_135322.jpg
    And finally, replaced wheels and tires, and just this summer repainted all the colored framing (there were a couple rusty spots but not bad, which made repainting super easy) with a gray color since I never loved the color blue it originally came out as. I used Benjamin Moore's canned Rust-Oleum equivalent and have been thrilled with it.
    IMG_20181125_133212.jpg
    (Couple more in the next post of the new paint!)

Attached Files:

5. DocsLglyBlonde

image.jpg
    (It was wet from rain)
    It was a lot of work, and took much longer than I anticipated, but I know that trailer inside and out and feel confident that it is solid and safe. I checked but didn't have to do anything with the brakes. My dad did some minor rewiring for me to get the interior lights working, and the one taillight not acting funky. And that's it! I am so happy with it, but remember that our horses put a lot of trust in us when getting into these silly tin cans we bought for them, so if you are unsure of something, or need help ensuring everything is safe, be sure to do so before putting your horse in there. I think my total cost was about $1800 that I put into it, and not that I'm looking to sell, but have recently seen nearly the same trailer listed around $3000-3500, so a pretty good investment in my opinion!

6. RG NIGHT HEIR

Great job and nice looking trailer.!!
    I'll expect to spent at least another 1000-1500 for the most obvious things.Floor,Rust repair and rewiring.

Attached Files:

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

Depending on what you're comfortable doing yourself, you can save lots doing relatively easy things and paying a pro for others. Like, ripping out the old flooring was a major pita, but it wasn't too difficult, just took time that would've cost money to have someone else do. If you rip out the floor, have someone else do any welding and repairs with the flooring out, then you install the new floor (fairly easy, just tested my drill and killed several bits), you would save yourself lots! I think the cost of the new flooring was under $300 for everything, so reasonable.

Keep us updated on your progress!!

8. RG NIGHT HEIR

Yes,that's pretty much my idea.Ill do as much as possible,I'm not afraid of getting dirty and love being involved.
    Thanks

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  9. RG NIGHT HEIR

Trailer got new floor in which actually was easier than expected. Next weekend we will work on the roof and inside taking care of some rust areas.
    So excited.

Attached Files:

manesntails and HnA Tack like this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

Looks good! I'm only double checking because I cannot see it in the photo, but you bolted the new wood down right? You'd be surprised.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019