Finally Going to Do It!

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Zephyer1995, Apr 17, 2017.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

You are good to go! Have fun and good luck.

Zephyer1995 likes this.
  2. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

We did it! I almost didn't this morning. I forgot that I have to show 1 handed with his curb bit and we haven't worked on his lope departures at all with the snaffle, he just doesn't care for jointed bits.

So, last weekend I started working on riding 1 handed. He neck reins fairly well but still needs guidance for obstacles and I struggle getting the inside rein up to start the lope lead cue.

So, anyways, I sucked it up and went anyways. And, in typical me fashion, I picked up the reins with both hands. More than once. So got a DQ for the patterned RR class. He also spooked at the ground poles and broke gait during his lope. Then since I was still trying to do the 1 handed thing, he got past me and avoided the trot poles. Everything he did was just penalties, it was me using both hands that for the DQ. Oh well, we still went and he didn't have a meltdown! I did get confused during his 360 turns (major work in progress) but I confused him because I cued with wrong foot at first.

Then did the Ranch horse rail class. Only 4 of us so took a 4th. Biggest thing is he stopped to poop then tried to nose out that gate where he was standing to poop. But I stayed one handed so we didn't get a DQ.

Got my membership but with work obligations, I don't think I'll be able to show to 14 judges to qualify for year end points. Not that we're off to a scorching start or anything lol.

VermilionStrife and LoveTrail like this.
  3. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Took a few screenshots from the video my mom took. My apologies, I forgot to tell her to rotate my phone. Pics should be left lead departure, the moment he noticed ground poles were in the arena, and his right lead extended lope.
    IMG_7417.PNG IMG_7418.PNG IMG_7419.PNG

equinitis and VermilionStrife like this.