Finally Going to Do It!

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Zephyer1995, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Our state has an AQHA show this weekend and next weekend. My current plan is to haul to the first one and just ride around, watch the classes I want to enter. Then next weekend actually enter. First show is a 4 judge show. Not ready to blow that kind of money just yet!!

Any pointers? I've been working towards this all winter. Still need to work some more but at some point you just have to take that leap.

VermilionStrife and Cynical25 like this.
  2. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

You wouldn't happen to be at Cloverdale in Indiana would you? Only asking because my barn will be at AQHA shows there this weekend and next.

What classes are you planning to be in?

3. Zephyer1995

No. WV. Looking at Ranch type classes. Trying to learn about the ones labeled as just Western Riding vs being Western Pleasure

manesntails likes this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Western Riding is basically a ton of lead changes in a pattern, and Western Pleasure is a rail class where they are looking for quality of movement at the walk, jog and lope. Your horse better be VERY good at self carriage and be pretty slow for western pleasure. Western Riding is a little faster (to get the lead changes), but have to do a lot of lead changes with a lot of self carriage. Generally speaking, horses will show in the western pleasure until they get a good lead change, and then move on to Western Riding.

Maybe you should look into Ranch Riding or Ranch Pleasure?

kodemiester likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just hang out. Keep the horse relaxed. I'm assuming you're bringing Dunny (gag, when are you going to change that dang name?!)
    Just pretend you're hanging with him for the day. Graze him, tie him with a hay bag next to a horse he knows. Wander off, come back and the two of you ride the horses around the outskirts of the activity. Later, when he's ready to nap, nap him closer to the excitement while you sit on him. Make the experience relaxing and a non-stress event; its going to be the his first impression of hauling to a big show so you want him coming away with a good impression.

Cynical25 and CJ like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good suggestions. I'm just here to cheer you on. Enjoy yourselves.;)

Zephyer1995 likes this.
  7. Zephyer1995

This is my plan. Hang out at the first big show. We hauled to a show at these grounds on the 8th and I entered the ranch class. But this was an open show and probably 1/4 of the size. Only 3 entries in the class. He behaved really well tied out with hay at the last show. Let him hang out. Rode him around the ground and in the practice rings with a well behaved buddy. Let him hang out. Rode him alone. His biggest issue with when the speed horses are warming up. He loses his mind some.
    Even yesterday at barn. I was working on canter leads with him. Lesson girl was working a reining horse and another lady was riding dressage patterns. He kept wanting to go off following the dressage pony. So keeping his focus on me is one of our biggest struggles.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Zephyer1995

This is the showbill for the 2 day shows
    IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

By western riding, do you mean the ranch riding classes? Because as mentioned above, Western Riding is a pattern with flying lead changes. The Ranch Riding has patterns, and some do have lead changes, but possibly simple or drop changes. They may have patterns posted on line for you to check. The novice or rookies classes would have the simplest patterns.

Also, if you show A QHA, you will have to get a membership, if you don't already. Most times, you can buy one at the show. It believe it is $50. I thought of something, the walk/trot classes may be a good place to start for you.

10. Zephyer1995

I have the membership and an ammy card already. Ranch riding is what I plan to be doing. The pattern last night had a change but can do a simple. They only have ammy and open for ranch. And an open ranch rail class. That one is w/t/c with extensions

bobo and horses likes this.