Finally bought some clippers!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I bought the Lister Star clippers. Smartpak had them for $100 off, free shipping and no tax. That’s the best deal I could find after looking several places. I’ve never clipped a horse before but will be getting some lessons.
    Smartpak says it comes with the fine blade but in their pictures it says it comes with a free gift and doesn’t elaborate on it anywhere in the description. I’m hoping it is the medium blade based on the picture but I have no idea. What else do I need to buy to be ready for my clipping lesson? Oil? Cooling spray? Again, not experienced whatsoever.

God it was 80 degrees in Texas yesterday and then 55 degrees today with a breeze, just enough to catch a chill. Pics of my sweaty man after our lesson. He also needs to be clipped for comfort purposes, he is very ouchy in the girth area from prolonged use of a neoprene dressage girth with his thick winter coat. Lesson learned though right? Only planning on a trace clip.
    D36A831F-52CF-4332-BC62-106D12F1AE82.png
    BD9856BD-6DF7-40E7-A688-7A7CF79251BA.png
    02D02825-6F78-4098-8CBB-7AD25A55F016.jpeg E5D69D3C-82EC-4D7E-8209-90FB1ACA34F8.jpeg 4C5721E3-A8A4-4826-BB0A-442D08AFD14B.jpeg
    All fresh after a bath. His 2nd bath with soap in 6 months. I have a grey horse that loves being clean. He is never dirty enough for a bath. Humble brag. Lol

Tips tricks anecdotes cautionary tales welcome.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It should come with a little tube of oil and a brush to clean the hair out of the blade. Buy a can of Blade Ice and use it often. Hot clippers burn horses and ruin the clipper.

Practice on the big muscle areas and be very mindful where skin is thin and wrinkles form: around elbows, under the neck, on the upper inside of legs, etc. You need to pull the skin taut to take the wrinkles out of the skin when clipping there.

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Hopefully Smartpak will get it to you in less than a month.

They are not doing well in that respect.

4. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Yeah I’ve heard about that. Hopefully everything works out.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I really only need to use my oil. I have blade cool, but my blades rarely get hot, and if they do I swap them out for another pair until they cool off. Definitely oil often and liberally. I oil about every 20 minutes while clipping, and ensure they are clean and oily when putting them away. It just takes practice to get better at it, and gray is a nice color to learn on because it's forgiving with mistakes.

I have also been used to getting Smartpak orders delivered in well under a week, and they've been pretty terrible lately unfortunately. I've been waiting for an out of stock blanket for over a month (it said it would be in stock the Monday after I ordered it, but I know that's not necessarily an accurate estimation). My in stock blanket still took a couple of weeks to get here. I feel for them, because I guess it's their new system they're using that's messing up shipping, but why they changed systems at peak ordering season is beyond me. Hopefully they sort it out soon, because typically they are fantastic!