Figure 8 Tail Knots

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by harli36, Apr 24, 2007.

1. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

I know in the past people have asked how to do the figure 8 tail knots that I use and I've always meant to get pictures and never have....sorry....anyways I came across a step by step on equine.com

I prefer the tail knots over tail bags, because I personally can't stand the look, or trouble, of a tail bag. By putting the tail in knots the horse still has full use of their tail for swishing away flys and it still looks like a normal tail. Just like when you braid, when you knot the tail it also shortens the tail, which keeps it out of low growing brush and mud.

I do my knots a little bit different then the article explains though. I find that, especially if the horse has fine hair, putting one knot in each section of hair has a tendency of coming undone. But if you put two knots, one directly below the other then the knots don't allow each other to come undone. Also keep in mind the more knots you put in the more it shortens the tail. Also DON'T condition the tail before putting the knots in, like the article suggests, it only encourages them to come out. Put the conditioner in the tail AFTER you have it knotted and then rinse it out as best you can. If the hair is wet then dries after the knot is in place the hair will get crimped into posistion (just like when us ladies put curlers in our hair while it's still wet the curl will hold longer)

Also in the summer time the knots have a tendency of dreadlocking from all the tail swishing. By wrapping the knots in vet wrap the dreadlocking doesn't happen nearly as bad as with no vet wrap.

Okay here's the article.

Tail Knots Step-By-Step

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

3. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

I've tried those too, the idea is the same it's just a different knot though. I've had more trouble with those knots coming undone and getting dreadlocked and matted. Both methods work but IME the knots from Sherries Stable require more maintanence.

4. ILoveRedRanger!

ILoveRedRanger! Senior Member+

Oh yay! I really need this for my horse. He has a thick long tail. Two thumbs up! Sherries Stable's knot looks a little complicated and it doesn't really walk you through it. But I'll try both of them out to see which one I like better. Thanks!!!

5. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

I use Sherri's. She used to post on another forum I frequented. I love her method.

6. APHAgurl91

APHAgurl91 Senior Member

wow im going to try this. thank you