Fergie - Journeying on to 2nd

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Feb 25, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well it has been quite the few weeks...

Had the barn fun day, and Fergie was star player at the soccer, if she ever flunks at dressage, then striker is her new career..even scored a goal, would have been a lot more if a certain 8 year old girl wasn't so good at defending...yes I have NO shame. Then said 8 year old and I were paired up for the toilet paper race, and I got my revenge by making her trot, which freaked her out a little, but heck, we only lost by the shortest of short heads, so them she was delighted! Then I had to quit riding, the knee had maybe fared not well, when I was trying to get a sneaky kick in at the ball when no one was looking.

30th june2.jpg 30th june3.jpg

So had to take it easy at the next lesson, just worked on walking and halting, but it was still **** hard work, who knew that halting on the arc of a 10m circle was so HARD. Then I got a couple of decent rides in, but then Fergie was NQR, she wasn't lame, but just wasn't moving freely, I felt it straight away, but coach thought she looked OK at the walk, but as soon as we asked her to trot she could see it. So she got days of massages, and her body work person came out, put her all back in line another couple of days massaging, and then we only had a day to prepare for the show.....got the go ahead from Coach, vet and Body work person...and she was fine.

Warm ups were pretty crazy, she always struggles in the second level test to pick up a right lead lope from walk at X, and in warm ups she just could not/would not do it....so the trainer was called to have a go.....she fought and battled with him, and I was kind of concerned I was going to have to get on this amped up horse, but once she got a couple of good departs, we called it good and took her for a walk...

Show day 1...it's blowing half a gale, madam is amped up, thought about having the trainer ride her first, then pulled on the big girls panties, and did it myself...she was very errr fresh, which in the past would have scared me, but this time was kind of fun.

First test, Level 1 -1 Oh dear, very fresh, not very good, came 4th of 4!
    Level 1- 2 - well that felt better, didn't realize that it was a winning ride...YES

Then onto our Level 2 test, I thought it rode really well, apart from not being able to nail that darn lope depart....then I was delighted and totally shocked to find out we had won the class, against my arch nemesis, and beat the trainer on a younger horse....

Day two they ran the classes in reverse, so had an early morning and started with Level 2, once again it felt really good, apart from that depart AGAIN...but still it was good enough to win, just so delighted. The first level tests were OK, she got two Seconds, and considering it was now blowing a full gale, I was happy with that.

The scores for the weekend were scary low, across the board, there have been many complaints about the scoring both from this show, and others in the province, so I'll take the positions, and see what happen at the next show....

37142411_10216416062823662_2546588987150041088_n.jpg 37256255_10216416062943665_4955063598566080512_n.jpg

foxtrot, ginster, Bakkir and 7 others like this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Nice! All that work is paying off. Well, the work and that dragon bit. Who doesn't do well with a dragon bit? Hahaha!
    Congratulations!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Congratulations-!! Sounds like it was a blast, no more kicking balls though..

Purty pictures ML. ;)

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Let’s just say Fergie is amazing.

We had a 3 day ladies Dressage camp at the barn, 22nd to 24th July..6 lessons in 3 days, body work for her, yoga for me, and a touch of drinking and craft...

Under Saddle she started out horrible, coach wanted her in a snaffle, so I used her French Link, and she was HORRIBLE, gaping, leaning, just felt heavy and horrible no matter how much I used seat and leg. There was a small dust storm and she threw a sudden spook, and would have run previously, but this time I got her back and settled, but she needed a lead to go past the scary place. After that ride we put her back in the Dragon Bit, and she was so much better, Every ride we improved, and the last session, which we cut a little short, because she did the best leg yield work that she has ever done, she was light, balanced, forward, just brilliant. There was a round of applause from the gallery at one jog/lope transition it felt stunning, and everyone was blown away by it.

Talking about being blown away, the first day started with us all working at feeling muscles, learning to identify and massage them properly. Tracy who was holding the session, hasn’t seen Fergie for a year, and she couldn’t believe that madam stood ground tied for the majority of the session, this time last year she would not of been able to do that. Did have to laugh when T was trying to show where the ribs end, pushing her fingers up along the ribs, and saying “there comes a time when you get to what feels like an edge” only she was struggling to find Fergies!

E77718F8-8E5E-4FDC-87DE-588A05166767.jpeg

We had a ground work session in the round pen, A asked for a volunteer to go first...The Wonder Horse and I stepped up, and he asked me to show what we could do...so I sent her out on the rail, took her up through the paces, down again, changed direction, and repeat. Then halt, walk past got her to follow me around, stop, back up, turn around me, then turn inside me. When we were done all A could say was, “ Well that was just what I was looking for, well done” followed by “have you spent a lot of time doing that?” Well no we haven’t we just do a little every now and again. We then got to watch others struggle!

Then a braiding lesson, got to practice banding, found out why mine always looked crap before, and how to do them nicely. Found her new look for the Championship shows, she is going to be stunning, will look like a Level 2 horse even if she doesn’t show like one. I may or may not have found glittery elastics to make the braids!

57C25CB1-CDE3-4814-8F95-166201DE65F7.jpeg
    211CC4A7-1100-4036-B46F-10A73380B957.jpeg
    CB1251A7-3FB7-4A6B-A5F1-798A20378201.jpeg

Now in UK for another 3 weeks, and she is getting trainer time put on, keep her fit, and establish her counter canter. I’m trying to keep fit...and learning tests C&D because the championship shows use them, rather than A&B. Been shopping already, most people buy presents for family, I have 3 bits to try on Fergie.

EEB57D1B-52E0-4590-8F93-610A3F80C81D.jpeg

Oh and there was a wine a cheese party, obviously an overdose of cheese had an influence on my craft project.

6EE26D39-1EED-4000-8871-CDD3216679A9.jpeg

foxtrot, Bakkir, Larkspade and 7 others like this.
  5. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

I love your journey!

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Loved reading this ML-!!

mooselady likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

So cool to read!
    hHow I wish someone did film your groundwork session!!

mooselady likes this.
  8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Awesome. You should be very proud of how far you have come with her.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Ms_Pigeon and mooselady like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It’s a blast for me, still that tinge of regret that I didn’t find all this stuff earlier, but so exciting to take the journey.

(y)
    I might get someone to film....there should be pictures somewhere.

I am very proud, so proud that it feels a bit like cheating having A ride her while I am away. BUT I still have to ride her in the ring, and we have come so far this year. I think it is actually fair on her, like the struggle we still have at lengthening the trot, this will establish if she just can’t lengthen in any significant way, or if I still am not asking properly.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So while I was relaxing for a month in the UK, Fergie had a month with the trainer, poor girl, but boy is she fit!

General news, she got into a fight, with a gelding, a mini gelding, who walks under the rails on the pens. BO says she thought they were trying to kill each other, he was standing underneath her, trying to bite her...succeeded a few times, while she tried to kick his head in....people have now been moved around, so mini is back in the pen with the page wire, and Fergie and her big companion are on the other side of the track. Fergie is in, and will be doing a month on full board, stable at night, pen during the day, this for my benefit rather than hers, I can’t walk out and catch her anymore, the knee isn’t doing so well. Also hope that a month of stabling will get her kind of used to it! After a month then she goes into ‘let down’ mode...not sure how much I will ride between end of season and knee replacement.

Other news, bought 3 new bits for her while I was away...very expensive, mid range, and bargain bin $20 online purchase. I was amazed by the quality of the $20 one, and as it was coaches choice, we tried that first and she loves it, is going so well, no gaping, and retaining the softness, so we have put it on her show bridle, Championship Show this weekend, then I will try the Verbindend next week, but it will have to be amazing to beat the Bargain Bit.

So I’m having to balance how much I work on her, with not annoying the knee, but have had such fun riding the ‘new’ tests..the Championship shows use the C and D tests, rather than A and B we ride the rest of the year. I rode level 1 C last year, it’s OK, D is new and great fun, has a counter canter loop, and a canter serpentine with changes over X, it is just a nice test to ride. Level 2 C is a BEAST - has a 3 loop canter serpentine, wall to wall, with no change of lead. For the first time I realized how short our indoor is, I ran out of room every time!

Her trot work has been great, canter transitions, are phenomenal, canter work...still working at the balance of holding her in, and letting her go forward.....always an issue for me, the 1970’s German showjumper buried deep in my soul wants to take up tons of contact and overbend and over ride her! I did manage a loose rein canter circle. I have no great expectations of second level, we are still playing with it...but then there are only like 5 people in the division, so we will see. First level is more competitive, will have to ride out heart out for that one.

Pics of course, Fergie with Bloom, her room mate, 5 year old, ClydexTB, and a real sweetie, and one from after our lesson last night, it was a wild ride!

D1D16923-F347-4C9F-AE61-91A364B88767.jpeg 71A6E138-E3B7-4584-A912-9D2068C2CAB4.jpeg

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.