Fergie - Journeying on to 2nd

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Feb 25, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yesterday we had a lesson with our senior dressage judge....and it was very interesting..

My coach likes high (ish) hands, and no breaking of the wrist at all, P likes lower hands and encourages a rider to 'take a feel' by rotating thumb, and hand down..so no 'break' but definite movement.

We worked for a long time on flexion, and got her working really nicely, the low hand and turn really got her softening.

Then onto shoulder in, not on the wall, but down the quarter line, so no cheating or hiding, we had some really nice steps, I have to overcome the tendency to bend her to far, and keep the forward going.

Last work was on lengthening and shortening the stride, and WOW, she is right, to get a good lengthen you need a good 'shorten' Madam got totally snotty at the end, we had been working on the circle, then moved to working trot on the rail, lengthen across the diagonal. She suddenly decided that she couldn't possibly do the F - H diagonal...that is a problem that pops up every now and again, totally out of the blue. I've seen her do it with the trainer, she's done it with me before, last time I was scared and didn't cope well, yesterday I was able to give her heck and go back and do it again.

The ups of the session, P was really pleased on how far Fergie and I have come since she last saw us, she was really pleased with a lot of things, and we had some light bulb moments in the session. Not sure if it is an up or a down, I think Fergie got really wound up, in our usual rides we do a lot of loose rein walks to let her decompress, yesterday not so much...I need to be her advocate and ask for her to have a stretch and think in a lesson.

Things I need to work on, still kind of abrupt on asking for things, need to give her more warning and ask nicely. Need to give her more room to go forward especially when working on two tracks.

It was a great lesson.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Update...WHOOT

Have had some great rides, things are just falling into place, until madam gets a snot on, and she decides CAN'T SHAN'T WON'T, she is kind of like

goodverygood.JPG

But I can ride her out of most things now, which is great, but it takes me longer than her to 'come down' after an incident.

Went to ride her on Sunday, to find no one at the barn, and a gale blowing, so chose to spend some quality time grooming and doing some stretches. Then took her and lunged her a little, and once she had got the sillies out had a go at loose lunging again...she did OK

And was surprised to find this in an email from WSDAC the other day

bronze Fergie.jpeg

Very pleased with that. Now kind of living on borrowed time, I had a phone call the other day, inviting me to go in for my knee replacement ....on 9th May....I asked for a couple of days to think about it, and what would happen if I didn't accept the offer, well they would offer me a date in a couple of months, if I turned down that date I would be dropped off the list. Had a couple of days really stressing about this, but eventually talking to all the parties involved, I got my name taken off the list, the surgeon is going to put me back on, with a note saying that I am not available until October.. Now I am crossing fingers that I actually get that month, but we close on a house next week, that needs a lot of work, then off to the UK for a wedding in July/August, plus a full schedule of shows..I don't have time to be laid up.

It is going to be a challenge making it to the fall, BO is talking about turning horses out, and I like Fergie turned out, but not sure how I will stand up to having to walk up to 1/2 mile out to get her, and 1/2 mile back. Have also told people that I will not be volunteering for too much at the home shows, got to save my knee for riding....

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

"Could you look like you are not dying"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::applaud::applaud::rofl::rofl:

mooselady likes this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, on the lunge she was a firecracker, take the line off and you get that!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Oh dear...it happened, I reached diva status before Fergie...me the person who will happily school around jumps, over or around ground poles, round barrels, when we had one, around the roping dummy...yesterday there were a whole load of semi circular paths in the arena, I think they were from the vault class....but they were such ridges that I could not do a decent circle there, because Fergie kept tripping in the ruts.....So for the first time the dressage diva put on a request that they rake the arena after vaulting!

We have been having some great rides, and yesterday had the best solo ride I have ever had, despite the gale, the small kids running in and out of the arena and the crappy footing. Some really beautiful trot work, and some nice transitions. I find it kind of funny that my lovely straight center lines have gone a bit to pot now, up until last fall all my tests just needed straight center line, either at walk or trot, and a nice halt at X or G, she was good at that. Now we have leg yields off the center line, and working on a lope depart from walk at X...so now madam is either wanting to take off, or yield when I hit the line, have to concentrate at keeping her straight.

I was just a little shocked yesterday, I took my English saddle in to try on her....looks good BTW...some of the kids were "are you going to ride her English?" Then my coach turned up and asked why I was trying it on
    "Well to see if it fits" was the obvious answer...

LOL I was told to list it, sell it, I am a successful WD rider, I'm good at what I do, don't mess it up was the advice..I guess she is right, Western is where it is at right now, don't want to risk upsetting stuff right now, having so many breakthroughs, she is going so well, I am improving, and we will be moving up...

Then there was this from someone who hasn't seen me ride her for a while, I think it is a compliment..maybe.
    Next show is 3 weeks away, I hope we can ride our current wave right there.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Sounds wonderful, diva can be a good thing you know..You deserve it. ;)

Edited : *My keyboard autocorrect has been frought with demons.

mooselady likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

lol, it does see. To have a mind of its own sometimes.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Welcome to every day life as a barrel racer... "drag the arena," "the footing sucks," " I am not running my horse on that ground.":rofl:

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, I'm used to reiners being fussy about the footing, never been around serious barrel racers....I never have worried about the footing before.....but I'm riding thinking "seriously, can't do a decent 10m circle here"

Alsosusieq2 and Circle C like this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This came in the post today
    bronze.jpg