Fergie - Journeying on to 2nd

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mooselady, Feb 25, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Somehow it feels like time to move on, the continuing journey maybe?

For anyone who doesn't know the start of our story is here Fergie - The journey - From Pasture Puff to Dressage Diva, and we have come a long way from there!

I have got braver and so has she, though we still have our moments....but rather than the start point of wondering if I would keep her, if she was too much for me, we are now starting the journey to ride at 2nd level.....not sure how long a journey this one will be.

She has already taught me so much, and as an old bird it is still faintly embarrassing to admit that there is so much that I didn't know, so much I am still learning....BUT the thing is, neither Fergie or I are young, but we are both learning...

Oh yes, and our goals for this year...well we are entering the All Breeds Show in June at the barn...doing as many of the Western classes as we can, which means we will have to practice riding one handed! Also at that show they have a ground poles class that can be ridden English or Western, so we are going to do that. As part of my own development I have signed up for a couple of vaulting lessons later in the year....not that I want to vault, but I think it will be a great confidence booster going forward.

Our start point, well we will take yesterdays group lesson, three western dressage riders, and one English on her baby Warmblood, who kept being overtaken by us....

Lets see, well poor Fergie has an issue, the scary end of the arena remains scary, down at A and the roller door, she doesn't spook very often now, but is suspicious of it still, always rolling an eye in that direction. Yesterday life got worse, because at the C end of the arena you can hear the pig squealing in the barn, so now A end is scary, then there was a small avalanche of ice and snow above B...so now the whole arena is scary! I had someone hold her so I could get on, and we are off, she wasn't in the mood for standing still!

I now know on days like that I just have to get her working and give her something to focus on, rather than looking for mischief, and largely we succeeded. :D

The lesson, was mainly transitions again, both between gaits and in the gait, so lengthening and shortening, using half halts to balance but the actual transitions using only the body, not reins at all, it was fun. FINALLY we got back to cantering today, having been held up by my chest infections, stupid knee and Arctic temps - and it was AWESOME....best canter/lope work we have ever done, and that was achieved by sitting still and not messing with her....

So onwards and upwards, first show in March, doing Basic and First at that one, Basic and First in May, All Breeds in May, then MAYBE try 2nd in July if we are ready...lots of work to do before then.

21st feb (10).JPG 21st feb (16).JPG

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, forgot to add, one of the boarders was asking if she could turn her mare out in the paddock, let the mares teach her some manners..the answer "Ask if you can put her in with Fergie for a while, even Africa is scared of Fergie...LOL Africa happens to be the Red Head who used to rule the roost. Fergies current companion is a pony.....

3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Onwards and upwards (y)

FaeriesFaith and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

5. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

YAY for you and Fergie!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

Speaking of whom ----- can I borrow her for a week or two? My horse that has always been a bully would do well to spend some pasture time with her:rofl:

ginster and GONE ROPING like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You know what the biggest difference is over the last few months? Instead of saying I had a good ride, I tend to say I enjoyed it, I had fun, because I am so doing both now.

We have been continuing our basic work, and it is so different now, she is starting to feel, and hopefully look like a Dressage horse, it’s a long road, that’s for sure.

Today was really fun, we worked down the scary end of the arena, and got her going with just looking sideways at the door, even survived a snow avalanche off the roof, she spooked in place YEAH! I think the scariest thing today was having coach just standing watching for a while....not saying anything, just watching, while i’m Working out if it is so good that no correction is needed, or so bad it’s beyond redemption! Today’s battle was trying to find our leg yield again, we did have it, today we didn’t, took a long while to get a few beautiful beautiful steps, then we quit.

While I was hand walking Fergie in the arena to cool her off, coach let Norma the Red Mare Eating pig out, and she came into the arena. Fergie was worried, but managed to get her following Norma, as she walked away, and she had head down, investigating and all was going well. Then the pig went ‘donkey’ on me, and froze, and Fergie got worried, so walked her away, and the **** pig followed us, and poor Fergie nearly had a heart attack. She made herself feel better by going all Red Mare on her pen mate, and those on both sides.

Fergie meets the dangerous piggy, before today

C8751864-C5C7-4286-BADE-96BFB649930E.jpeg

Poor girl after today’s workout

8611A71F-FAAC-4093-B512-3EB686D4316D.jpeg

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

They need to let that pig loose in the arena every night so the horses get used to it.
    We had pigs in the barn. They were loose off and on and not one horse would even turn an ear, not even when they would wander into a straight stall with a horse. Their smell has to be everywhere so that the horses get used to it.

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It’s funny, Jack, who is an older horse, retired, but as spooky as heck, one of the reasons his owner retired him, has zero issue with Norma. Fergie is the stand out hater in the barn, no one else is having such a OTT reaction.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Today was the last lesson before showing this weekend, we are away for a two day show, and a couple of weeks ago I thought we would never be ready, but actually, maybe we are! I had to laugh when Coach asked me what tests I was riding..answer Basic and Level 1, and she watches me ride and says “why didn’t you enter level 2?”

Yeah think you have me confused with someone else....not ready for that yet...

When I went to catch her today she was on her own in a pen, has been with an opinionated pony, who has now been kicked out to a pasture. She seemed very quiet, stood tied in the barn aisle without fidgeting, got tacked up without messing about, and was relaxed in the arena. Find out she had a melt down yesterday when her pony was taken away. She still has company nose to nose over the fence, and lots of horses in sight, but still felt deserted. We will have to see how she does, but it might be good for her to live on her own for a while.

Today was a small victory, I have earned my spurs back, and boy do they make a difference to out lateral work, she noe remembers she can actually move off my leg. We have had a few breakthroughs in me ‘getting’ things recently. Her tendency to fall into strange shapes on her lengthened canter on the right rein...cured by a touch of shoulder in. Getting bent out of shape on the same thing on the left rein, well that is a case of stop doing so much, just sit and let her go. Messing up my leg yields, getting banana shaped....turns out I was worrying to much about the bend...who knew, I ride her straight, and she takes the slight bend she needs, but she moves straight.

Also REALLY now get that most issues are solved by adding leg, especially her head popping up, just add leg and give with the hands, and down she comes, like magic. It really makes me laugh when those who have not explored ‘contact’ see it as one thing, but when you actually start to ride in a Dressage contact you find it isn’t at all what you thought. So wish us luck for the weekend, riding 6 tests, Basic and First, in front of an out of Province judge who I have not ridden for before.

Madam being lonely! And with her now departed friend!

8F536C95-4A35-4C46-96B4-61D1AAD33B44.jpeg D19EFD57-2673-4E59-8635-9FFFA53A4844.jpeg

Sam C., ginster, mkoktavy and 3 others like this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Good luck this weekend. Hope you have lots of fun.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    mooselady likes this.