Fencing - should I use electric?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by buddytink, May 29, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's a recommendation to file away, it sounds great. ;)

buddytink likes this.
  2. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Is the horse welded wire field fence hard to put up? We've installed fence before but never the welded wire horse fence

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

It isn’t difficult but it is a bit more time consuming. The t-posts have to be closer together (we did 8ft). Winding on the t-post clips is easy but not quick. Get a fence post clip tool as it will save you a lot of time and hand pain.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Welded wire...CRAP.
    The welds break. I never heard of horse welded wire. Field fence is twisted to hold it together so it has no welds to give way. Red top field fence is the best brand to buy. Around $160 for 330 ft. roll.

Alsosusieq2 and DelP like this.
  5. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Lol my bad, thats the kind i meant . We bought the kind you're talking about a few yrs back but have never put it up and it costs around $239 for 220ft at Lowe's. Where do you get yours at?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

The 4 inch square hog wire should NEVER EVER be used around horses. They get a foot thru that, and that's it. Never a good ending.
    Smooth wire should never be used around horses. oh I know, some will be offended by that, but its true. By the time a horse knows he's into it, it's too late. That stuff burns as it cuts, not much left to heal.
    If you are going to use electric around a horse, get the braid. Its thicker, has the wire woven into it. Much safer.
    When building a horse fence, the bottom wire is no lower than your own knee. Don't give him a place to get hung up in it. Plus the weeds will blow under it instead of getting hung up in it. And if you are in fire country, it's less apt to burn and ruin the entire fence.

Every place is different. You have to use what will work best in your part of the country. I have given examples of what works best in mine.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

buddytink, Alsosusieq2 and DelP like this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That smooth wire is lethal for horses and should not even be considered for horse fencing. :(

buddytink likes this.
  9. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated . I did notnknow that about the bottom electric wire being knee height, but makes sense lol.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

ANY wire should not be below your knee. Sooth wire is especially dangerous because it burns as it cuts leaving nothing to heal up.

buddytink and Alsosusieq2 like this.