Feeling like garbage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cschattner, Mar 23, 2018.

1. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Mini update.
    It's been a rough couple of weeks. I hired a plumber to run the new pex lines about a 2 months ago and he initially started the job then was suppose to come back upon my return from classes. Well he gave an excuse and I excepted it, then came more excuses and more and after a month I put my foot down and told him to get his ass out here and finish the job.
    Well he used that as an excuse to take the money and bail.
    I have spent the last few weeks looking for a new plumber. I just hired a new one yesterday after he was recommended by two people. I explained that I will pay for all the parts but I will not pay him until the job is done. He agreed since he knows my father and if I screw him he knows my dad will be on my case so fast I will have tire marks on my face.
    So now I have all the new bathroom fixtures but no working bathroom.
    Just when **** was looking up.
    I would of posted sooner but I was too mad to even write it out.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Hopefully that will be all the drama that that project gives you and the new plumber will have everything done quickly and well. :)

3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Colour me confused, but why would you pay someone before the job is done?

I live with a tradesperson, he definitely doesn't get paid upfront.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I think some require it for supplies. Honestly it's not a good idea to do that unless you know the person well and trust them.

Obviously..

I learned never to hire anyone that claims to be a Christian or has that as part of their resume etc, my mom got ripped off completely by one of those jokers.

ginster likes this.
  5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

It's normal for a contractor to require 25-50% up front to reserve the time and cover materials, but the remainder shouldn't be due until job completion. Very large jobs might have progress payments, but that must be detailed out in a contract including what the milestones are relative to completion for each payment.

That said, I truly hate folks who are "contractors" and take money for work they don't intend to complete. They are scum.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

All the contractors i have hired have required partial or full payment before they work on the job. This is the first jackass that has pulled a fast one.

For some reason I have had quote a few plumbers be flaky on this project. It's a relatively easy job.