Feeler thread! Bettas (Siamese fighting fish), anyone? Black Dragon HMPKs

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by Glewellin, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Glewellin

Glewellin Senior Member

So, my christmas present to myself, a pair of GORGEOUS black dragon halfmoon plakats, will be here in about two weeks (shipping out from Bangkok-and we complain about trailering a horse two states away!) and depending on how much free time I have in the next few months I'm thinking about trying for a spawn from them before I start sending them out for a few IBC shows in the spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've dubbed them Beetlejuice and Morticia! Appropriate, yes?

Anyways, I was just wondering if there were any HGS members out there who might be interested in getting a new fishy in a few months. Because I live in a dorm room my space is somewhat limited, so I'm trying to get as many potential homes lined up as possible before I get to the holy-carp-I've-now-got-300-jars-to-clean-every-day phase. I may be working with the little local fish store too, which is exciting, and the top few show prospects will go up on aquabid, but considering I could end up with four or five hundred fry tapping into every market possible isn't a bad idea :p

Prices will be pretty varied between sex and quality, but most (males) will probably be in the $15-20 range, not counting shipping. Females may or may not be cheaper depending on how well the first few sell on aquabid-sometimes the the big breeders bite, sometimes they don't. Let me know what y'all think! I guarantee that, while more expensive than your average petco betta, bettas from breeders are always healthier, happier, and more fun to have around!

Btw, photo rights belong to their breeder. Also, I'm also trying to buy a stunning little lavendar, hot pink, and pale pink marbled female. She's just sort of an "I'm sorry about all the fish. Here, have a pretty pink one!" present for my roommate, but if the breeder is willing to part with her father or brother as well that might also be a strain I start having available.

EDIT: Also, lookie lookie what I got! For those who prefer the flashier betta. Now to find a male...

[​IMG]

EDIT #2: Male found! These guys might have to be a second breeding down the road.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Caterina

Caterina Senior Member

I'd be interested in a couple females.
    I dont breed. Just like having female bettas.

3. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I'm not interested, but I am curious how one goes about shipping fish! I had dalmation mollys when I was in college in a dorm, they bred, and by the time I came back from my morning class, they had eaten every last baby. :no:

1 person likes this.
  4. Halter_Mom

Halter_Mom Senior Member

I may be interested i have a couple males the regular ones i cnat find ANY female betas anywhere arround here....
    out of curiosity what does it cost to ship a fish?

5. greyongray

greyongray Senior Member+

Loooove bettas but cannot be started back on the path to "100 little mouths and jars" :) If you get fry from them, post it here!

6. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member

I'd be interested in a male! Especially of you got one with more black on the scales :)

7. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

Those are some of the prettiest bettas I've EVER seen. Love that variety!

I can't justify another tank right now (about to graduate college and uproot/move somewhere), but if/when I get settled I'll know where to go for a fish. If you have any leftovers or future spawns, that is. :eek:

8. Glewellin

Glewellin Senior Member

Ooh yay, y'all are makin' me happy! Hmm, well, shipping really depends on where you live and if you do express or priority (fish are usually fine either way, but express is definitely less risky, and if you use priority my dead on arrival clause would be void). It's costing me $50 to ship them from the transhipper in GA BUT keep in mind that A. that's entirely how she makes her money, since she's not a breeder of the fish, B. she spends ALL of monday working with customs and then acclimating several hundred fish to their temporary layover tanks, and the rest of the week feeding/cleaning those several hundred fish C. that's also partly paying for her import license. I don't think the actual shipping will be nearly that much-it's only costing me $10 to get them to the U.S. from Thailand. I'd also charge the cost of the box and the heat pack, but if you returned the box I could refund that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Twisted Fate

Twisted Fate Full Member

I love that first betta. I would be interested but all 3 of my tanks are in use :( Maybe I can fingure something out by the time you are selling them.

10. StoneCreek

StoneCreek Senior Member+

I'd be interested but if you are trying to show them I would reccomend against breeding as they can tear eachother up in the breeding process. You could try www.fishlore.com that's a fish forum I use I bet some would sell on there.