Feeding without hay or pasture

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by tenneh, Mar 14, 2019.

1. tenneh

tenneh Registered

Does anyone have any opinions on feeding a horse without hay or pasture? Which is better: a complete pelleted feed or alfalfa cubes? Our area is totally out of hay and we need to make it another 2 months until the hay is harvested!! Thanks for any ideas.

2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Cubes. Alfalfa, timothy, either or or both. I couldn't imagine a horse on an entire diet of a grain. They NEED forage.

3. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

Definitely go with cubes! It will still provide the long stemmed forage that they need.

Though horses can exist on just feed. The last year of my old mares life she just had free choice access to senior feed. She didn’t have any teeth left and would not eat soaked cubes or pellets. At all.

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I would certainly go with the cubes over pellets.

5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Cubes. Complete feed is mare for horses that can't chew forage. If they are able to chew forage, give them cubes.

6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Cuuuubbbbesssss

7. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Cubes/shreds over solely a complete feed... but I use the alfalfa cubes/shreds with a senior feed and soaked beet pulp if they can't have hay for whatever reason

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Cubes but you can always supplement with a concentrate that can be used as a forage replacer if the horse needs additional calories. My senior guy lives on cubes and triple crown senior due to tooth issues, but he looks fantastic after a few years on this diet. You need to still be feeding 1(likely more like 1.5)-2% of the horses body weight per day.